606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps

+6
Lord SKAgiraffe
BuffonIdol
colonelbagpuss
DRIZ
rocknrollnobody
mc_homer
10 posters

Go down

Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps Empty Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps

Post by mc_homer Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:26 am

Seems to be little talk about this signing so thought I would start a thread about it.

The Capitals have re-signed Alex Semin for 1 year at $6.7m. The one year thing is great from a team perspective but does anyone else feel $6.7m is a little high? Still I suppose as it is only 1 year it won't break the team and gives them flexibility.

TSN link
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps Empty Re: Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps

Post by rocknrollnobody Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 am

6.7 seems pretty high for a 1-year deal, but as you say, the short deal means that even if they start to have cap issues, it's not going to cripple the team like it had in Chicago.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps Empty Re: Semin signs for 1 year deal with the Caps

Post by DRIZ Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 am

I think is the most significant thing on the contract is the lack of no-trade clause. I have the feeling Mr Semin could be on his way....but not on the cheap.
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:15 am

You may have a point Driz. Having a shorter more manageable contract will make Semin quite valuable in a trade even as early as this deadline. He wouldn't just be a rental anymore.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DRIZ Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 am

I don't think anybody in their right mind(and I include Mr Burke), would take him on knowing they could lose him in free agency at the end of this season. With the extra year, somebody might have a punt on him.....

If you happen to read this JD...we don't want him at The Blues!!!!
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelbagpuss Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 am

It's a decent-ish move for the caps in my opinion. apparently the caps offered him a maximum of two years, because the cba expires after that, and we already have ovi and backstrom locked up long-term. the 6.7mill is because that's what backstrom's on. i think it may be a bit high but it's within the realms of acceptable as he's a 40 goal, 90 point scorer. plus earlier this season pretty much carried the team with ovi quiet.

i think he may be traded, which is why i was a bit surprised at this deal, but i think it's true that if we were to trade him he'd be much less valuable if he would be heading into free agency at the end of the season, especially since he's useless in the postseason. it could go either way, really, i think it depends how he, and the team in general, plays running up to the deadline. i kind of hope he's traded because like i say he's often absent in big games and playoffs and would be a valuable trading chip.

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:12 am

colonelbagpuss wrote:It's a decent-ish move for the caps in my opinion. apparently the caps offered him a maximum of two years, because the cba expires after that, and we already have ovi and backstrom locked up long-term. the 6.7mill is because that's what backstrom's on. i think it may be a bit high but it's within the realms of acceptable as he's a 40 goal, 90 point scorer. plus earlier this season pretty much carried the team with ovi quiet.

i think he may be traded, which is why i was a bit surprised at this deal, but i think it's true that if we were to trade him he'd be much less valuable if he would be heading into free agency at the end of the season, especially since he's useless in the postseason. it could go either way, really, i think it depends how he, and the team in general, plays running up to the deadline. i kind of hope he's traded because like i say he's often absent in big games and playoffs and would be a valuable trading chip.

We will take him since we don't play-off games he can't go missing!!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelbagpuss Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 am

to be honest i think he'd be perfect for somewhere like toronto where he wouldn't be under the shadow of ovechkin. think we might trade with the leafs.

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:20 am

I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's a cracking player, and 6.7 is a good deal for a player of his quality. The only question is over his injury record but for a proven top player thats a risk I'm more than happy to take. Personally I'd have given him $7.125m per year over four years, oh wait.....
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:40 am

Hey Colonel. You still up for that Semin for Savard trade you mentioned at the start of the season?

Thought not Sad
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelbagpuss Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 am

poor marc

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by penguinpunk71 Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 am

I cant help but feel they have over paid....I still dont think he has proven himself to be an elite player

penguinpunk71

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:00 am

Semin signed a 1-year deal last season too, so there's nothing untoward going on. He just likes the freedom a 1-year deal brings (waiting for that bumper KHL offer no doubt).

They've given him $6.7m to match Backstrom's average salary - but no way is Semin worth $6.7m a year. I'd be giving him $5m tops, as I'd rather have Kesler / Jeff Carter / Mike Richards / Marty Havlat.

But compared to Kovalchoke, an absolute snip Razz
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by rugby-leafhockeyrocker Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:38 am

leafygiraffe wrote:I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's a cracking player, and 6.7 is a good deal for a player of his quality. The only question is over his injury record but for a proven top player thats a risk I'm more than happy to take. Personally I'd have given him $7.125m per year over four years, oh wait.....

hypothetically speaking, who do the leafs have on their roster that caps would want/need?
rugby-leafhockeyrocker
rugby-leafhockeyrocker

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelbagpuss Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

giguere would probably be the main chip. we may well want a decent, experienced goalie for the postseason. probably through in a d-man for d-man swap as well.

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down