606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Britain at the World Championships

+3
mc_homer
ronnie pander
colonelbagpuss
7 posters

Go down

Great Britain at the World Championships Empty Great Britain at the World Championships

Post by colonelbagpuss Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 pm

I haven't paid too much attention to the GB team because, well, they suck, was my impression, BUT it would appear they have a chance at some success. Like I say I haven't followed them much (in international hockey i just support russia really) so some others here may be abe to explain better/correct me if i'm wrong. I saw a short little snippet in the Times that GB had won a couple of games at the World Championships and still 'had a shot at gold'. Of course I was confused as not only did i think the Worlds started a week or so from now, but how could Britain be up for Gold.
It would appear, though, having looked on iihf.com that in fact in the Division 1B championship, made up of GB, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Kazakhstan that after 3 wins and 1 loss Britain COULD win gold AND therefore (i think) a promotion to Division 1A with the big guns, is my understanding.
IF Britain win against Poland (possible as we have beaten teams who have beaten them so far in the championship) and Ukraine beat Kazakhstan (whilst Borat and Co. are unbeaten so far, Ukraine are hosting) there would then be a three-way tie on four wins between GB, Kazakhstan and Ukraine, but apparently GB would win gold and promotion.
So it could be a very exciting time for British hockey (unless I've misunderstood it completely in which case my excitement will be cut short by embarassment, humiliation and most likely ensuing loneliness). Perhaps someone could tell me if I'm right?

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Great Britain at the World Championships Empty Re: Great Britain at the World Championships

Post by ronnie pander Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Yeah, you're right, Colonel - it will come down to goal difference so a win for GB coupled with a loss for the Kazakhstan team could mean promotion and a chance to be roundly drubbed by the likes of Russia, Canada and Finland. The top division will play their tournament next week in Slovakia.

Sadly down in division III, Luxembourg continued to underwhelm and lost all but one of their matches!
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Great Britain at the World Championships Empty Re: Great Britain at the World Championships

Post by mc_homer Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 am

GB has steadily shown bits of improvement over the last 3 years or so. I have followed them in it as much as I can although coverage is spotty at best. We have had some very memorable games with Poland over the years so it will be anything but a given!
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by penguinpunk71 Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 am

If they get promoted I am gonna try and go to the worlds next year

penguinpunk71

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:33 am

GB 2-1 up after the 1st
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:30 am

GB win 3-2! Just need Ukraine to do them a favour....
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelbagpuss Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:34 am

2-2 Kazakhstan v Ukraine. kazakhstan are promoted. GB so close to promotion. But silver is still a fantastic acheivement

colonelbagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Get yourself down to your local rink and support the sport in the Uk.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Just wish I had a local rink Sad
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:21 pm

mk isn't that far homer, get yourself over and support the lightning!
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:59 am

It is when you don't have a car and the trains suck.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am

You are biking from London-Brighton. So bike Beefland-MK.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down