606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking down the season

5 posters

Go down

Breaking down the season Empty Breaking down the season

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:56 am

With the season drawing to a close Chatham Victory GM Buff released the following statistical data configuration analysis of the team’s performance to identify areas of poor practise and suggested areas for improvement.

As most will no doubt be aware this season has not gone according the plan. The management spoke initially of a potential play-off push but this was quickly dashed. The first half of the season was littered with agonisingly long slides and nothing but misery. Whilst there has been an upturn in fortunes since the mid-point (a winning record in fact) it was always far too late and the team were quickly eliminated from the play-off race.

The team with 72 games played hold a 24-37-11 record. However if we break this record down there are some rather revealing statistics.

The team divisional record stands at a mightily unimpressive 6-20-4. Contrast this with a 13-11-3 and 18-7-7 record against the other divisions and conferences and it is quickly apparent what the problem is; the team cannot win the all important divisional match-ups.

To exacerbate the point, the Victory were swept by the Stevenage Beefs (0-7-1) and the Bearded Badgers (0-6-2). However not all is doom and gloom. 5 of the 8 losses to the Badgers were by a single goal and a further 2 by two goals, only a single 5-1 hammering were the team uncompetitive. Similarly against the Beefs 5 of the 7 losses were by two goals or less with only the 6-1 blowout a real embarrassment. So 16 of the 20 divisional losses can be accounted for by just two opponents by score lines that really flatter to deceive.

If the Victory can begin to address these issues then a substantial part of the hard graft will be underway. In that regard there is hope. A goals against average of 3.53 and goals for average of 2.40 in the division is at complete odds with the 2.86 GAA and 2.99 GFA against non-divisional rivals; whilst the points earned percentage almost doubles from 0.267 within the division to 0.512 outside of it. The team clearly has the potential as demonstrated in the majority of is match-ups but it needs to deliver that in the games against the Beefs and Badgers in particular.

Whist the tricky divisional match-ups have played a crucial factor in the lack of success this season they are not solely to blame. Across the league the Victory have failed to perform in overtime and on the power play. The team over-time record this season is an abysmal 3-11 (1-6 in OT and 2-5 in SO). Whilst the penalty kill is an impressive 83.55% (good for 4th) against the league average of 81.96% the power play is a measly 13.54 (19th) compared to a league average of 18.04.

So how will these issues be addressed? The management has recently re-jigged the power-play tactics and this is paying dividends with both PP units pumping out output significantly higher than the season average and much closer the league average, thus the management will be working hard to ensure Saku Koivu remains with the team next season. Over-time is still being looked into but possible solutions include cutting the arena lights after regulation or throwing waffles onto the ice. Finally how to deal with those pesky Badgers and Beefs… well there was a reason Buff had not declared any rivalries this season… congratulations guys and welcome to the Victory rivalries club!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Breaking down the season Empty Re: Breaking down the season

Post by DRIZ Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 am

I don'k know about breaking the season down.....I'm just going to have a breakdown Very Happy
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 am

Poor Beef, is there anyone in the league who isnt his rival!
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

sportsportsport wrote:Poor Beef, is there anyone in the league who isnt his rival!

I'm thinking of "unrivaling" the Beefs. We were evenly matched last year - now his side keeps beating me in one goal games!

And as for the Victory....only 6 points back! Can the Ducks hold on for the prized 4th division spot! Wink
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Those rivalries have been the death of me this year I think! Really seem to have struggled in those games but then maybe I am just not as good this year lol.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Ronnie IF I catch you (and it is highly unlikely since I just blew two games- I blame the schedule!) then you should be ashamed; at one point you had a 15+ lead on me Razz
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 pm

When I published it I did ask for comments/complaints about it so you only have yourself to blame Wink
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Must have missed that ***slaps own forehead***
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down