606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"My Last Fight"

3 posters

Go down

"My Last Fight" Empty "My Last Fight"

Post by rocknrollnobody Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm reading "My Last Fight" by Darren McCarty. It's both a bit self-indulgent and 'woe is me', and also very funny in places.

The first time McCarty fought Kocur, the latter punched the former so hard, McCarty's helmet cracked. McCarty managed to tie him up enough to have them both fall to the floor. Whilst getting up the conversation went thus:
Kocur - "You OK kid?"
McCarty - "Thank you for not killing me, Mr Kocur"

That made me laugh, as did the stories about the 96/97/98 Red Wings teams wrestling and playfighting regularly. Kocur punching Draper in the kidneys repeatedly to the point where Draper peed blood the next day, and Steve Yzerman nearly throwing himself out of a 20th floor window whilst trying to shoulder charge McCarty.

The chapter on Lemieux is interesting as it explains that the Wings genuinely hated the Avalanche during their epic rivalry, and the feeling was mutual. However, both team respected the way eachother played, and that they got results doing it. McCarty says he wouldn't want Lemieux as a teammate, but appreciates that he did was was required of him by his team.

Interesting read, if a little bit sympathy begging.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

"My Last Fight" Empty Re: "My Last Fight"

Post by mc_homer Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:19 pm

The first time McCarty fought Kocur, the latter punched the former so hard, McCarty's helmet cracked. McCarty managed to tie him up enough to have them both fall to the floor. Whilst getting up the conversation went thus:
Kocur - "You OK kid?"
McCarty - "Thank you for not killing me, Mr Kocur"

lol! that's awesome
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

"My Last Fight" Empty Re: "My Last Fight"

Post by BuffonIdol Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:31 pm

That bit made me chortle too!
BuffonIdol