606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The coming of Eric Staal

2 posters

Go down

The coming of Eric Staal Empty The coming of Eric Staal

Post by BuffonIdol Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 am

Flying high at the top of the intimidating Prego division and the tough Nandos conference GM supremo Buff could be forgiven resting on his laurels. But a 13 point play-off cushion was not enough for this GM. He showed his intention to challenge for the Kings Cup this season by doing what he does best, trading. But this was no ordinary trade. Just half a season after trading for Jackub Voracek, a franchise piece, Buff added another cornerstone.

The cost? The assistant captain, the last original blue-liner and one of the most complete stay at home hard hitting defencemen in the league. Why?

"I have always believed in being strong down the middle. We haven't just dominated the league in the face-off dot down the years, quite simply the rest of the league might as well not bothered turning up."

Vinny Lecavalier hadn't let the team down in this respect (54%) but his lack of production, just 22 points, meant his huge contract was no longer viable despite his clear contribution to the team (+10) and unquestionable leadership as a long serving assistant captain.

"I wanted to role two lines that the opposition couldn't handle and could win games, Eric helps in that respect. We tried to secure him last summer but at the time his team were confident of making the play-offs."

With that no longer a realistic possibility Buff reignited talks. He had to give up two top defencemen in James Wisniewski and Jack Johnson to make the deal and 3 for 1 trades of this type are often called against the team losing the 3. But Buff doesn't see it that way.

"I am sure Wiz and JJ will do great for the Cherry's, I have no doubt of that. But for us it was time to let go. James was like a dog on raw meat and his penalties were costing us too many games. Jack, well I am still a big fan of his and I can let you know I have rebuffed (pun of course intended) many an offer for him for my fellow GMs but he never reached the numbers we expected. He looked liked he had developed his two-way game in last years play-offs alongside the Michelin Man (Dennis Wideman) but he regressed again this season. We just lost patience with his yo-yoing"

Staal is expected to take Lecavalier's A and anchor the second line between the surging Scott Glennie, another summer acquisition, and rookie Brett Connolly who is returning from a lay-off.

With the exits on the blueline Mark Stuart has an opportunity to take back his top 4 role alongside team captain Andy Greene. Right now there are no plans to call up any of the Pirates blue-line though Buff showed he has no qualms with doing as he did in last season's play-off series with the Beefs.

"Ultimately we just made ourselves harder to play against and I don't think any of our rivals will be on the phone congratulating me for that! We have improved what we consider an area of strength. That really is a luxury that few have."
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

The coming of Eric Staal Empty Re: The coming of Eric Staal

Post by BuffonIdol Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am

It has just been bought to our attention that Eric will début against his former team. Firecracker!

*Please note firecrackers will be sold at half price for the game - please use firecrackers responsibly and keep away from people who are boring*
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Go Eric Stall! Best player in the league! Watch him destroy the opposition!
Twisted Evil
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Stop trying to jinx my team Razz
We're not even in your conference.... I suggest you concentrate on the Shams Wink
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Im not sure that it works yet. If you start loosing ill try it in my own Confrence.

It might backfire, and Paddy doesn't need any more help winninig this thing!
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 am

Staal may have failed to register a point on his debut and finish a -1 but he has plenty of opportunities to impress as the Victory play twice in the next 3 nights, 3 times in the next 4 nights, 4 times in the next 5 nights, 5 times in the next 7 nights, 6 times in the next 9 nights and 7 times in the next 10 nights. They then get the week off.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down