606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best and Worst memories supporting your team.

+8
Lord SKAgiraffe
BuffonIdol
rocknrollnobody
sportsportsport
J-Iggy
NYR_UK_Marc
CFCNick
mc_homer
12 posters

Go down

Best and Worst memories supporting your team. Empty Best and Worst memories supporting your team.

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:55 am

Totally yoinked from a couple of Tweets MockingJay put up about worst team memories I thought it would be a good idea for here as lets be honest....it is gonna be a while before we get any new memories!

A couple of the best:

Beating the Sharks in the 4th OT period in 2008 to get to the conference finals. Just as the third period was running down Morrow destroyed Michalek with one of the best hits in the playoffs setting the tone for his team. The first OT period had some fantastic chances with Nabokov robbing Richards blind and Turco doing likewise to Marleau down the other end shortly after. This was one of the best goal tending duels I had seen in a while and Morrow topped it off by scoring the series winning goal. By this time I had 15 mins to get ready for work and despite having no sleep at all I worked all day smiling ear to ear.

Beating the Wings twice in one night. Back in 2006 it was well documented in news around the Stars about how Turco had a problem with the Wings. Turco had established himself as one of the best goalies in the league at this point but the Wings seemed to always be the team he just could not beat. The game itself was good but didn't have anything special to write home about but after a 1-1 tie going into the shootout the roller coaster began. With the Stars up 2-1 on the back of a Datsyuk miss and goals from Zubov and Jokinen, Turco needed a save to win it. Zetterberg was up and as he attempted his move he lost control of the puck as Turco went for the poke check. Turco never made contact with the puck but dropped his stick as the puck floated safely wide. Everyone cheered the players skated off and the broadcast went to adverts. A few minutes later the broadcast came back on with the news that the game was not over. The refs had ruled that Turco threw his stick at Zetterberg and as a result awarded him the goal....the shootout would continue. The fans (myself included) started to dread that this win would never happen and when Miettinen had his attempt saved my heart sank. Turco then managed to stop Lang and set up Modano the chance to win which he took allowing both Turco and the 18,000+ in attendance to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

The bad:

My first playoff experience that I was able to watch live came in 2003 and after one of their best ever regular seasons the Stars were hoping for a very deep playoff run. The first round was yet another defeat of the Oilers which had become almost tradition by this point before facing the Mighty Ducks who as the 7th seed had just swept the defending champ Red Wings. Lead by a Giguere who was playing out of his skin the Ducks took out the Stars as well and of most pain was the first 2 games which both were won in OT by the Ducks including an epic game 1. At the 0.47 mark of the 5th OT period Sykora ended the fourth longest game in NHL history. Memories of pacing up and down my university bedroom unable to sit down are still fresh in my memory to this day.

April 10th 2011. After looking like there would be no hope of playoffs for the third straight year the Wings did the Stars a huge favour and defeated the Blackhawks 4-3 giving the Stars control of their own fate, all they had to do was win and with their opposition being the Wild who were long gone in the playoff race hope began to rise. Sadly the team from the place the Stars once called home won the game 5-3 and ultimately cost Crawford his job. For a team that had never missed the post season for more than 1 season since 87-88 when the team was still in Minnesota the idea of an extended playoff drought is something a lot of Stars fans are still struggling to come to terms with.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst memories supporting your team. Empty Re: Best and Worst memories supporting your team.

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 am

Totally just realised that 4 years is the longest the Stars have gone without playoffs in their entire history Sad Only once before had they missed 3 from 74-76. Boooooo Sad
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst memories supporting your team. Empty Re: Best and Worst memories supporting your team.

Post by CFCNick Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 am

Right I've only got 3 seasons to choose from but I think I can state good and bad memories.

Best:

My first season, 09/10, coming back from 3-1 down in the quarterfinal to knock off the top seed Caps. Halak's heroics in game 7.

Next series coming back to knock out Pittsburgh in seven games. Absolutely hammering them in game 7 to advance to the conference final.

Worst:

Nathan Horton's game 7 OT winner. Still makes me shake my head how we started the series so well but faded away in games 3, 4 and 5.

The entire 2011-12 season.

CFCNick

http://www.twitter.com/nickvarney90

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 am

Oooooh talking of come backs that reminds me of another great memory. First Stars game in nearly 18 months thanks to the lockout was against the Kings and just 5 mins into the game we were down 3-0, by the end of the first it was 4-0. A few people I talked to on the Stars forum were so annoyed they refused to watch the rest of the game..... They missed out as the Stars rallied to win 5-4 in regulation.

I hope I don't have to wait another year to have a memory like that one Sad
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYR_UK_Marc Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:48 am

The Good -

Game 3 vs Washington this year Gaborik's triple OT winner

Rangers 2 Islanders 1 in 2010 , not much of a special game but was my first live NHL game.

Michael Roszival game 3 double OT winner vs Sabres 2007

Rangers 5 Bruins 3 - Rangers score 5 straight goals after a disastrous start a brilliant game with all the emotions of a playoff game.

Bad Memories

2009/2010 season end Jokinen misses the shot that put Philly into the playoffs and eliminated the Rangers

Adam Henriques OT winner last season

Stars beating us 10-2 just because of somebody clinging on to this for the past 3 years
NYR_UK_Marc
NYR_UK_Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 am

NYR_UK_Marc wrote:Stars beating us 10-2 just because of somebody clinging on to this for the past 3 years

Wonder who that might have been Cool

By the way did I mention another great memory.....being there in the American Airlines Center to see the only game in Stars history where they scored 10 goals? bounce

Oh and as for clinging on to a victory.....let's just look back to our last game vs the Rangers shall we Smile
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:28 am

Vesa Toskala in his first flames game! Kotalik also played to make it extra special jocolor
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am

Best Memory has to be winning the cup in '09. When the puck was on Lidstrom's stick with 5 seconds left and with Fleury moving across I think my heart skipped a few beats.

Coming back from 3-0 down to beat the Flyers 5-3 in game 6 of the '09 cup run was also pretty special!

Worst memory would either be the loss to Montreal in the final game played at the igloo or the serious threat of the team relocating. I had just started following the team properly again and it was a horrible thought to think that they might be moving to Kansas.

sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am

Also staying up until 3am or later to see the team lose is always tough. Especially when its to the Rangers and we concede two stupid goals late in the game Sad
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by NYR_UK_Marc Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 am

sportsportsport wrote:Also staying up until 3am or later to see the team lose is always tough. Especially when its to the Rangers and we concede two stupid goals late in the game Sad

How i didnt mention that game is a crime , what an amazing night
NYR_UK_Marc
NYR_UK_Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 am

sportsportsport wrote:Also staying up until 3am or later to see the team lose is always tough. Especially when its to the Rangers and we concede two stupid goals late in the game Sad

I wish most of our games ended around 3am Sad
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

BEST:

Game 7 win over the Penguins to win the cup, and Sidney Crosby's face.
Columbus 2-5 Detroit. My first NHL live game, and it had everything, goals, fights, empty netter, one-timers, scrambles, it was incredible.

WORST:

Game 7 loss to the Penguins to lose the cup, and Sidney Crosby's face.
Conceding 10 to a sub-par Blues team.
Ongoing rather than a memory as such, but the breaking up and retiring of a fantastic and powerful team of players. With the loss of Draper, Rafalski, Osgood, Lidstrom, and Maltby, the nucleus of our strength has diminished somewhat. I think when Holmstrom and Cleary retire, we'll be Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and some other guys.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Game 7 win over the Penguins to win the cup, and Sidney Crosby's face.

You won in 6 games Sad
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 pm

But we definitely lost in 7.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Best Memories: Iginlas 500th Goal, most of the 04 play off run and Theo Fleury's attempted comeback a couple of seasons ago (i still think we should have signed him).

Worst Memory: Tampa cheating in 04 Evil or Very Mad

All those leafs fans seem to have gone missing from this thread... Laughing there must be some good memories...
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Best memory: Tuesday 21 October 2008

Watching my first ever live NHL game from the heavens of the ACC. Such an honour to see Selanne, Niedermayer, Giguere, Pronger, Beauchmin, Perry and Parros. There were some Leafs playing too I think.

Antropov netted his second of the game to tie it up 2-2 with less than a minute to go in the 3rd. I lost my voice for a week thanks to that. In what looked like a strange move by Wilson, CuJo replaced Toskala in net just for the shoot-out, presumably because the vet knew a thing or two about these shoot-out things. He proceeded to skate out full throttle to confront the Ducks shooters only to fall over and let them both in. The Leafs players couldn't respond as JS stole the game.

We may have lost 3-2 in a shoot-out but it had been an epic occasion and one I shall never forget.

Worst Memory: Sunday 25 December 2011

In what can only be described as the worst Christmas gift ever (I would have rather Santa just shit down my chimney) General Manager Brian Burke gave his chum Ron Wilson a new contract. I don't need to explain why this ruined my holidays. Wilson's subsequent firing was one of the highlights of year.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Best:
Alexander Mogilny signing for the Leafs. Everything he did at the Leafs. Especially the 5-2 down, 6-5 OT win where AM got his 1000th point.

Any time Tie Domi looked funny at someone.

And worryingly, the news that the Leafs had signed Andrew Raycroft.

Worst:
Anytime from the lockout onwards. To think we had the likes of Sundin, Mogilny, Neiuwendyk, Roberts, a decent Bryan McCabe and Ed Belfour in 2004, its all gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Burke and Wilson and the insistence on 'truculence' and refusal to get a decent European.

Andrew Raycroft.

Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:09 am

Best

Oh go on. Take a wild guess. Yeah. Winning the cup was pretty bloody special. The look of sheer relief and joy on Chara's face. Awesome.

Also, Savvy's OT winner against the Flyers after coming back from concussion. OK so we ended up losing the series and as it turned out, Savard was still not OK, but it was still great to watch.

My first game at the Garden. Watching the Bruins beat the Sabres and me wondering how on earth had I gone through life without this wonderful sport.

Being at the Winter Classic at Fenway Park. A truly magical experience.

Worst

Savard probably never going to play again.

Losing to Carolina in the 08/09 playoffs.

Losing to the Flyers in the 09/10 playoffs.

Last edited by Calamity Jane on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Stupid fucking iPhone!)
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 am

Calamity Jane wrote:Best

Oh go

Shocked
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:36 am

Please don't let me have to add '2012/13 lockout' to the 'worst' list Sad
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Best:
4-3 twice in one night. Cheers CJ!

The Shift.

Worst
Trading Richards to the Kings.

Not so sad about Jeff Carter going

Keith Primeau retiring.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 pm

BuffonIdol wrote:Best memory: Tuesday 21 October 2008

Watching my first ever live NHL game from the heavens of the ACC. Such an honour to see Selanne, Niedermayer, Giguere, Pronger, Beauchmin, Perry and Parros. There were some Leafs playing too I think.

Antropov netted his second of the game to tie it up 2-2 with less than a minute to go in the 3rd. I lost my voice for a week thanks to that. In what looked like a strange move by Wilson, CuJo replaced Toskala in net just for the shoot-out, presumably because the vet knew a thing or two about these shoot-out things. He proceeded to skate out full throttle to confront the Ducks shooters only to fall over and let them both in. The Leafs players couldn't respond as JS stole the game.

We may have lost 3-2 in a shoot-out but it had been an epic occasion and one I shall never forget.

Ronnie likes this...
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by DRIZ Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Best

The second half of the 08/09 season. Only losing 9 of 41- to make the play-offs froma near impossible position.

Sticking 10 passed the Dirty Wings

Worst

08/09 and 11/12 play-offs....Going out to sweepage Sad
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down