606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The benefits of losing

+5
rugby-leafhockeyrocker
Lord SKAgiraffe
Calamity Jane
mc_homer
BuffonIdol
9 posters

Go down

The benefits of losing Empty The benefits of losing

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 am

Despite a change in coach some things never change. After winning his opener with a 3-1 win over arch-nemesis Canadiens Randy Carlyle has overseen four defeats on the bounce. But we shan’t dwell on that as it would be akin to blaming a coroner for the dead body in his morgue. It is however representative of the Leafs recent woes. Aside from the that single win the Leafs have won just once more in their last 16 games (2-12-2), which was an overtime winner against Edmonton. That run has also included 7 straight home losses and being shut out 3 times. And through all that is a silver lining.

Whilst the fans and media are left clutching and the strewn play-off hopes (the Leafs are 8 points back off the Washington Capitals for that elusive 8th seed with 13 games to go) I am left drooling at the prospect of June 22nd. The eagle eyed (and pun entirely meant) will have noticed that this marks one month until we crown our 141st Open Golf Champion, a much beloved spectacle for blue and white fans. I however will be casting my eyes over the city of steel and snow. The 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

You see Toronto are currently eight places above the bottom basement of the league. There are only three places and one point to make up to qualify for that other end of season play-off, the draft lottery. A much more achievable target I am sure most would agree. The Leafs only sit below (remember we are trying to “climb” the draft ladder now) Anaheim and Minnesota on games won whilst Carolina have just a single point advantage and the New York Islander two. Even those pesky Habs are only 4 adrift, a mere trifle to topple. However the loser machines in Alberta and Columbus will make the Leafs charge for the neo-Presidents Trophy near impossible. But if they make that lottery then job done.

So who do we pick up? Worst case scenario is we pick 5th if the lottery decides to be redundant once more. Anyone with enough hockey knowledge (by this I mean anyone who has seen either the Mighty Ducks or Slapshot and knows not to enter into a philosophy debate with Ilya Brzgalov) can see the Bluejackets picking up Nail Yakupov. Edmonton needs a blue-liner so it is highly possible that they pick one the 3 studs in Ryan Murray, Matthew Dumba or Morgan Rielly. Now Toronto needs a centre and there are three outstanding candidates in this draft- Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk and Filip Fosberg. The Leafs would be guaranteed one of these three. If that is our potential return on the season then give my clubs, I’m off to the club.

---
Just my 2 cents on the top 7 at the upcoming draft:

1. Columbus pick Yakupov
2. Edmonton pick Murray
3. Islanders pick Grigorenko
4. Toronto pick Fosberg (I really REALLY want this guy)
5. Minnesota pick Dumba
6. Montreal pick Galchenyuk
7. Carolina pick Rielly
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

The benefits of losing Empty Re: The benefits of losing

Post by mc_homer Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 am

There's still time for Burke to trade it Wink
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 am

mc_homer wrote:There's still time for Burke to trade it Wink

Hell yeah. I thought Toronto's first round pick automatically went to the Bruins. C'mon Burkie, give it up. You know you want to.
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 am

Like the theory Buff..... BUT Forsberg is European and therefore not what Mr Burke would like. He will use his top 5 pick to pick a USA clogger called Hank Slugger or Jonny Twofists, if of course he doesn't trade it for Zenon Konopka...
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by rugby-leafhockeyrocker Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Calamity Jane wrote:
mc_homer wrote:There's still time for Burke to trade it Wink

Hell yeah. I thought Toronto's first round pick automatically went to the Bruins. C'mon Burkie, give it up. You know you want to.

Oh yeah, there is talk that we need to pick up a veteran goaltend................ NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Just to extend your point buff, Maple leafs are 1-7-2 in last 10

the BJs are 5-5-0......... But i do not like us 'tanking'. I feel it is kinda disrespectful towards the competition and to the fans, but that is the way North American sports work.
rugby-leafhockeyrocker
rugby-leafhockeyrocker

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:30 pm

This draft is dominated by Europeans even BB is not stupid enough to chase a knuckle head with a top 5 pick, he even drafted a pair of Swedish twins if I remember correctly. Fosberg can be our new Sundin, only he scores goals as well!

We are not tanking on purpose we are actually just that bad. Far from it being disrespectful to the competition and fans it is just a true reflection of our sorry state right now.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Yay one point to go sunny
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by NYR_UK_Marc Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 pm

I think the thing ALL Leafs fans must realise is ...... There just not very good but when they win a few games there going to win the cup. Poor goalies , Poor Defence , A few good forwards but on the whole very average.
NYR_UK_Marc
NYR_UK_Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I think what all fans must realise is that this game is very fickle. A team can look play-off bound and then loose 14 of 16 out of nowhere. Equally they can look imperious for 7 or 8 months only to fall apart in the first round and be forgotten.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

BuffonIdol wrote:I think what all fans must realise is that this game is very fickle. A team can look play-off bound and then loose 14 of 16 out of nowhere. Equally they can look imperious for 7 or 8 months only to fall apart in the first round and be forgotten.

**cough** looking at you Boston **cough**

Sigh Sad
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by DRIZ Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 pm

BuffonIdol wrote:I think what all fans must realise is that this game is very fickle. A team can look play-off bound and then loose 14 of 16 out of nowhere. Equally they can look imperious for 7 or 8 months only to fall apart in the first round and be forgotten.

Expecting a play-off crash and burn in St Louis....especially as the most asked question of the moment.

When did the last Presidents Cup winners go on to win the Stanley?
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Well ease up and let the Rangers slide past you then Wink

I am hoping that St Louis and Colorado don't end up 1 and 8 in the West as I want both to do well.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Dammit we have won 2 straight, what are they playing at!?!? If we had lost both of those games we would have been top of the conference by now!!!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:13 pm

lol! Poor Leafs....maybe if they got it in their head that they should be finishing last from the opening night they might win the presidents trophy!
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:26 pm

I am not sure Phaneuf would be able to grasp such a complex plan
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 am

It's gotta be said...Randy is putting up some horrible stats this season!
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 am

Red Wings have lost 8 of the last 10. Struggling to see any benefits. Both our no 1 and 2 goalies are injured, along with 3 regular defensemen and 3 regular forwards. I just hope everyone drops enough points to ensure we reach the playoffs, as I doubt we'll be racking up stacks of them in the next few days.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 pm

rocknrollnobody wrote:Red Wings have lost 8 of the last 10. Struggling to see any benefits.

That is because you are aiming to win. You've set your organisation up all wrong!

rocknrollnobody wrote: I just hope everyone drops enough points to ensure we reach the playoffs, as I doubt we'll be racking up stacks of them in the next few days.

You are 8 points clear of Colorado in 9th having played two game less. The Avs only have 6 games left. You could likely loose almost all your remaining games and still make the play-offs.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down