606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R&D Camp 2011

4 posters

Go down

R&D Camp 2011 Empty R&D Camp 2011

Post by mc_homer Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 pm

I meant to post this yesterday but got too busy then just plain old forgot Smile but anyways it is that time of year again where the NHL takes a bunch of kids (people eligible for next years draft) and makes them play crazy hockey in the hope they find something useful for the NHL.

Here are a few things they are trialling this year.

• Hybrid icing rule - Under this rule, if two players are racing for the puck, they have until the faceoff dot to 'win'. If the ref determines the attacking player will get there first then icing is waved off but if he feels the defending player will be there first then he blows his whistle to stop play before they crash into the boards.
  • Removal of the no icing rule for shorthanded situations
  • No line change for teams going in offside - similar to the current icing rule.
  • Offsides resulting in the faceoff going back to the offending teams end.
  • Overtime changes - Same as last year I believe, trialling 4 mins of 4 on 4 followed by 3 mins of 3 on 3.
  • Overtime end change - Basically play overtime at opposite ends to the current way. The idea that the benches are then closer to the attacking zone therefore creating more chances as longer changes for teams defenders and shorter for the forwards.
  • Removing of the trapezoid - cheers
  • Hand passes allowed in all zones.
  • Changes to shootout - 5 shooters instead of 3 and after first 5 players can be repeated.
  • All penalties to be served completely - No more getting out of the box if the other team scores.
  • Verification line within the goal - This is to aid decisions about if the puck crossed the line or not. Really I am surprised it has taken this long for them to try it.
  • New thinner nets - Allows better camera views.
  • Overhead camera - More cameras for Hockey Operations to review bits and bobs.
  • In-net camera - A mounted camea in the net focused purely on the goal line again to aid decisions.
  • Robotic camera - To get better angles for TV coverage.
  • Curved glass at the bench areas - Again why has it taken this long?
  • Ref to ref wireless communication - I am surprised they didn't already have this, seems a no brainer.

I think that is everything but feel free to add if you know of something I didn't list.

What do you guys think of these? Any you feel should be in the game now and any that should never even be attempted?

Personally the trapezoid should never have been put in, I love the 5 shooter shootout, all the cameras are obvious (the more the better) and I definitely like the idea of allowing hand passes. Makes it easier to ref and as long as they are not closing their hand on it what is the problem with it? Similar to how I feel they should allow the puck to be kicked in, an element of skill still applies to being able to do this and if it can deflect off a skate why not allow them to kick it. It would remove a lot of grey areas. I do not like the idea of penalising off sides more than currently, it already kills off any rush the team may have had and if teams are scared of being penalised more for it then we will simply see a lot more dump and chase which will slow the game down more. The icing rule I don't really like (I love how it is currently) but on the grounds of safety it should definitely be considered/used. Oh and I like the removal of allowing short handed teams to ice the puck, why should a team being penalised be allowed to do something they cannot at any other stage of the game.

Last edited by mc_homer on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing my horrible fail at formatting!)
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

R&D Camp 2011 Empty Re: R&D Camp 2011

Post by ronnie pander Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I dunno...5 on 3...what are you supposed to do but ice it? It would make it exceedingly difficult for the SH unit to get to the centre line and dump it.

And hand passes in any zone? Not sure I like that.
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 pm

ronnie pander wrote:I dunno...5 on 3...what are you supposed to do but ice it? It would make it exceedingly difficult for the SH unit to get to the centre line and dump it.

Surely that is the point? If you have done something to warrant that punishment why be given an easy escape?
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I just think PK'ing is difficult enough as it is without making it harder. The onus should be on the PP unit to control the puck and set up in the zone - which is perfectly reasonable given that they have the extra man (or two). If they can't even do that I like the idea of the PK'ers simply swatting it down the ice and saying "there you go, you'll have to try that again"... Very Happy
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 pm

I see your point but they could still technically do that only the clock will be stopped and the faceoff brought back up into their zone. Should they so choose they could keep icing the puck.

I just don't see how a group of 5 guys who are struggling to get it out of the zone should be at any more of a disadvantage to a team that has put themselves in that position by tripping/hooking/cross checking etc someone. If they don't like it there is a solution.....don't take stupid penalties!
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 pm

mc_homer wrote:I see your point but they could still technically do that only the clock will be stopped and the faceoff brought back up into their zone. Should they so choose they could keep icing the puck.

Yes, that's very true. And I'd suspect the PK'ers would simply ice the puck a lot of the time in any case. It's just I want to see the PP punished for turning the puck over with careless play.

ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 pm

I'd like to think the constant stopping and starting of faceoffs could be enough of a punishment. Saying that it wouldn't help with the 'flow' of the game that they keep on about.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:14 am

ronnie pander wrote:The onus should be on the PP unit to control the puck and set up in the zone - which is perfectly reasonable given that they have the extra man (or two).

You don't watch the Bruins very often then? Rolling Eyes
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:00 am

Hybrid icing rule - Eurgh! I know we are trying to protect players here but this is not the solution. Will create massive grey areas for refs.

Removal of the no icing rule for shorthanded situations - will destroy penalty kills. Power-plays already have a big enough impact on the game. I think the current balance is better.

Overtime changes - will wait with interest, but imagine most fans might be against this

Overtime end change - fair enough

Removing of the trapezoid - Very Happy

Hand passes allowed in all zones - again why not

Changes to shootout - meh not fussed either way

All penalties to be served completely - NO! Again the PP units already have a big enough hold on the game. A accidental trip costing your team multiple goals. No thank you.

Verification line within the goal - Yup

New thinner nets - Whatever. Just put the camera inside the net.

In-net camera - See there you go!

Robotic camera - What are they currently steamed powered?

Curved glass at the bench areas - fine

Ref to ref wireless communication - thought they already had this?
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:12 am

BuffonIdol wrote:Hybrid icing rule - Eurgh! I know we are trying to protect players here but this is not the solution. Will create massive grey areas for refs.

I agree completely on this. From the sounds of it if the attacking player has the advantage and the ref feels they will reach the puck first then play carries on? So what is to stop the defending player still drilling the attacking player into the board? Creates more problems than it solves in my opinion.

BuffonIdol wrote:New thinner nets - Whatever. Just put the camera inside the net.

In-net camera - See there you go!

These were meant to be two different cameras from what I could gather. One looking no where else but the goal line while the idea of the thinner nets was so cameras behind the glass so to speak could see what was going on in the crease more clearly. More cameras the better in my mind Smile
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 am

Yeah put cameras wherever. In fact make the goalies wear a camera on their helmet!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:19 am

Haha could you imagine that. Or put one in the puck Very Happy
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 am

Would be awesome if it was one of the stream options on ESPN too. Watch the whole game from the perspective of puck height. They could call it Gionta view!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am

They could call it Gionta view!

Smurf-cam! I like it!

Hybrid icing though? Gawd, I can see that one causing mega headaches for the refs.
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down