606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The games you're most looking foward to

+5
sportsportsport
Jonzee
rocknrollnobody
J-Iggy
Calamity Jane
9 posters

Go down

The games you're most looking foward to Empty The games you're most looking foward to

Post by Calamity Jane Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:27 pm

(Or the games to which you are most looking forward, if we're going to be grammar Nazis).

OK, so we've all got the shiny new 2013-2014 schedules for our teams pinned above our desks. But which games have you circled in red as those 'not to be missed under any circumstances'?

For me, I can't wait for the first game against the Stars. Ever since 2008 when Ott and Avery decided that it would be more fun to fight than play, and the Bruins happily obliged them, these game have been really fun to watch. The 2011 game which had three fights in the first four seconds was also pretty intense, and now that Eriksson and Seguin have swapped teams, who knows what's going to happen?

Also looking forward to the Oilers just to see what kind of reception Andrew Ference will receive. He was well liked in Boston for his community work as well as his play. And I'm sure the Garden crowd will give him a very warm welcome.

The games against the Penguins (Eastern Conference Final rematch) and Blackhawks (SCF rematch) will also be pretty intense affairs I reckon.

And finally, the Red Wings. Who doesn't want to see Pavel Datsuyk doing what he does best i.e. turning your entire team into pylons, before making your goalie look like a total chump?

Honourable mentions to the Leafs, Habs, and Flyers.

Ah screw it. I've got the whole damn schedule circled.
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

The games you're most looking foward to Empty Re: The games you're most looking foward to

Post by J-Iggy Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I work with a Habs fan so that's always a game to look forward to. Our opening game is against the caps with just seems wrong.

Im going to Calgary in January and we have a five home games while im there so obviously there the ones im most looking forward to.
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

The games you're most looking foward to Empty Re: The games you're most looking foward to

Post by rocknrollnobody Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 am

Leafs. The best local derby we have and in previous years, we've been limited to a couple of games a season. the Chicago games are always fun, but when you play the same team so often, the rivalry tends to dilute a little.

I'm also looking forward to the Ottawa game, for obvious reasons.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:37 am

rocknrollnobody wrote: but when you play the same team so often, the rivalry tends to dilute a little.

Does it?
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:48 am

I love every penguins flyers games! You can guarantee that both sets of fans will go through every emotion possible by the end! I also look forward to any game that starts at a decent hour over here!
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 am

The 44 games that come on back to backs.

Especially these seven. Minnesota away in November, January's trips to Buffalo, Detroit, Toronto, and a road double in Dallas and Nashville, and then in April, at crunch time, a home game after a night in Ottawa.

CFCNick

http://www.twitter.com/nickvarney90

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:01 am

Oct 28th Stars vs Sabres
First game Steve Ott plays against the Stars since the trade over a year ago. Not sure I can say I am looking forward to playing him but it is a game I have to watch for sure. Not to mention Ruff going into his former home for the first time.

Nov 5th Stars vs Bruins
For much the same reason as CJ put, ever since that game that involved he who shall not be named, these games have always had a bit of spice to them. Most of the guys involved in those fights are no longer with the Stars but with MacDermid we have a bit of grit and I am sure it will throw up something interesting.

Nov 7th Stars vs Red Wings (and Jan 4th)
I always look forward to us playing the Red Wings. Partly because I got into watching hockey while living with a Wings fan but also the games are almost always entertaining. I am sure Nill will look forward to seeing his new team match up against his old also.

Dec 12th Stars vs Predators
I can't believe our first game against our new division rivals isn't until 2 and a half months into the season but hey ho. We have always had a bit of bad blood with the Preds ever since the Preds fans booed Modano when he hit a milestone in their building and then Tootoo sucker punched Robidas. That rivalry took a step up this last season with Fiddler/Nystrom and Clune going at it every time they met. It was fascinating to watch and really set the foundation for a great divisional rivalry. Now with Nystrom in Nashville there is yet another story line to add in. I never liked the Preds anyway and now I think they are poised to take over the Ducks as my most hated team....

Nov 23rd Stars vs Blues
Similar to the Predators above, the Stars and Blues seemed to start their division rivalry a year early. Not as much hatred between the two as with the Preds but the games this year were all entertaining. The Blues and Preds definitely have shaped up nicely as division rivals so far.

Dec 31st Kings vs Stars
Our annual new years eve game in Dallas. These games always seem to have a way of throwing up some real memorable moments and having the Kings in town will only help that.

Jan 25th Penguins vs Stars
For some reason the Penguins seem to bring out the best in the Stars. Our last game with the Penguins (and I am sure Pete will back me up on this) was one of the best games between any 2 teams that season. These games have seen Crosby fight Niskanen, Nystrom getting death threats after levelling Letang and Eriksson deking Johnson out of his pants on a penalty shot. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Mar 8th Wild vs Stars
Number 9 is being put up into the rafters. Tears will be shed.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am

Jonzee wrote:
rocknrollnobody wrote: but when you play the same team so often, the rivalry tends to dilute a little.

Does it?

*I* think so. If a game is twice a season, then there's a bigger build up and frenzy about the place, but if that build up is repeated 6 times a season, then it loses it's appeal.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:08 am

I can see both sides of that argument. When I was in Dallas there was definitely a bigger buzz around the Rangers coming to town than any of the Western teams I saw, simply because they hadn't seen the Rangers for 2 years.

That said, when 2 teams REALLY hate each other then I am more than happy to watch them 6 times a season.

It is when you try and force a rivalry by playing them more and more when there is nothing there that it can make them boring.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 am

Yup. You just need to look at the Bruins and Canucks. For years this was just a meh game. Only played each other once a year and that was it, pretty much off the radar for a lot of people. And then came the SCF and it just exploded into complete hatred after one game. Now it's become one of the most anticipated games on the calendar for a lot of fans.

I'd much rather watch that, than six games against the Sens (sorry Sens fans, but that's just how it is).
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 am

Calamity Jane wrote:
I'd much rather watch that, than six games against the Sens (sorry Sens fans, but that's just how it is).

I don't think anyone voluntarily watches 6 Sens games.

CFCNick

http://www.twitter.com/nickvarney90

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 am

I like the Sens, im sure i watch more then 6 Sens games a season!
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:44 am

mc_homer wrote:Oct 28th Stars vs Sabres
First game Steve Ott plays against the Stars since the trade over a year ago. Not sure I can say I am looking forward to playing him but it is a game I have to watch for sure. Not to mention Ruff going into his former home for the first time.

I wonder if he'll accidentally go behind the Sabres bench just through force of habit.

I imagine that will be quite an emotional game for him.
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:46 am

Calamity Jane wrote: sorry Sens fans, but that's just how it is.

Who are you talking to?
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 am

Tuesday 1 October vs Montreal
Annual season opener. Seem to have had the upper hand in years. Always nice to give your biggest rivals a beat down on opening night.

Saturday 7 December vs Ottawa
First home game of the season for the Leafs at the Scotiabank (or whatever it is called these days).

Wednesday 1 January vs Detroit
The Winter Classic. Biggest crowd in history. A legends game that is actually packed full of real legends. I know I might be biased but this has to be the game of season on the NHL schedule.

Hey what you know I picked out the three biggest rivals (in my opinion), who'da thought eh...
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:37 am

Calamity Jane wrote:
mc_homer wrote:Oct 28th Stars vs Sabres

I wonder if he'll accidentally go behind the Sabres bench just through force of habit.

I imagine that will be quite an emotional game for him.

I kinda hope he does, that would be amusing! lol! It will be interesting to see how the Buffalo fans greet him for that one.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:49 am

Actually scrap that, most anticipated game is september 15 at the Columbus Blue Jannons! Preseason begins which means the season is mere weeks away!!!
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by rugby-leafhockeyrocker Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 am

Not limiting it to the NHL are we....... good:

Sept 7th Panthers vs Hull Stingrays

First game of the domestic season after a grand slam triumph. This will start off our defense of all three titles as the game is both challenge + elite league points.

Sept 21st Panthers vs Sheffield Steelers!!!!! 

In the challenge cup, but first game against our bitter rivals so always a good one to look forward to. Always like to how  our new signings cope and what they are made of after the first rivalry game.

Sept 28th Panthers vs Belfast Giants

Giants will be looking for payback after the play-off loss and for losing the title to us on their home ice. Always a competitive game and a (hypothetical) top of the table clash that could have bearings on how the standings finish in march.

Nov 17th Panthers vs Steelers!!!!!!

Elite league fixture this time. More bile, more aggression, more fun.

Dec 1st Panthers vs Cardiff Devils 

Mainly because it will be the return of Matthew Myers, who was my favorite player just because of his sheer work ethic.

Honourable shout out to the clan and blaze....... well if the blaze had any honour Razz
rugby-leafhockeyrocker
rugby-leafhockeyrocker

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:49 pm

I'll be honest, we're struggling to get really pumped for the Panthers rivalry. It was probably an easy game to get wound up for a couple of years ago with Lepine and King facing off etc, but with the changing of so many players, and the Panthers recent multiple victories, it's losing its appeal to me and many other Steelers fans I know.

Hopefully a couple of big games will be physical and high scoring, and the rivalry will reignite!
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 am

I'm looking forward to every NYR-Caps game, because there is a really good chance of Ovie Ovie Nice Nice Nice
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down