606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knights of St George Press Room

Go down

Knights of St George Press Room Empty Knights of St George Press Room

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am

606HL Commissioner Homer has today announced the appointment of former Vancouver Schmucks GM Azzy Luongo as the GM of the Knights of Columbus! As new GM, Luongo had plenty to say to the assembled 606HL media...

"I needed time out of the game," explained Luongo. "My head wasn't right. I was over-committed. I couldn't concentrate on the important things in life. But, earlier today, I came to a realisation. That realisation? That the so-called 'Knights' of Columbus were leaderless. Afraid. Fearful for their hockey futures. So, after much soul-searching, I have come back to the 606HL to help heal the wounds inflicted on my poor lads by mis-management and inadequate coaching. That stops today!"

"From this day henceforth, my Knights no longer pray to Columbus. They pray to England's patron saint, St George. Let word go forth - no man, even be he Pekka Rinne, can stop the irrepressible force that is the Knights of St George. We WILL ride to victory. We WILL defeat and slay all before us. Once more unto the bearch my friends - ONCE MORE!!!!"

Luongo is sure to have more to say over the upcoming days and weeks ahead...
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Knights of St George Press Room Empty A new era for the Knights of St George

Post by Azzy Luongo Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 am

The Knights of St George today announce a new era for the franchise. New GM Azzy Luongo has parted ways with head coaches Ken Hitchcock and Larry Robinson, and appointed 53 year-old John Anderson to coach the Knights, and experienced coach Mike Keenan to coach the Squires.

"I looked at our past performance, and decided we needed a clean break. Ken was mumbling something about burritos, so I had to let him go." said Luongo.

"John has been given 5 years in which to win a 606HL title. We firmly believe he is capable of leading our franchise to victory. And Mike will be there at the Squires to aid John, developing our prospects and preparing the future of our franchise for when John calls on them. Kids like Calvin de Haan, Brayden Schenn and Derek Forbort could not have a better mentor - I'm looking for all of our prospects to grow into the 606HL players I know they have the potential to be."

Luongo has also announced several new acquisitions, as he stamps his own brand of hockey on the franchise.

"We've been too soft in the past; I felt we needed some veteran experience, as well as some hard-hitting grinders. With that in mind, I welcome to the franchise Manny Malhotra, Andreas Lilja and Todd Bertuzzi. All three will help our franchise become the best in the 606HL.

"We also welcome some new prospects to the Squires roster. Our recent draftees Dan Bonar, Dan Druff, Jean Pusie, Bold Munkhtulga and John Purves have all signed 3 year deals, while we also acquired Nick Leddy from free agency. All six will report to Mike and join their new Squires team-mates. I wish them all well. Train hard, play hard, score plenty - and your time will come."

There has also been an early trade in Luongo's tenure.

"I'm awaiting league confirmation, but I can informally report that I have made a deal with the Stevenage Beefs. We say goodbye and God Bless to Paul Ranger, Oscar Moller and Tom Kostopoulos, and welcome with open arms Alexander Edler, Maxime Lapierre and David Perron. These three players are crucial to John's strategy going forward, and I look forward to witnessing their development over the coming years."

What else is in store for the Knights of St George after a hectic opening week to Luongo's reign?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Knights of St George Press Room Empty Re: Knights of St George Press Room

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am

GM Azzy Luongo today gave his inaugural State of the Franchise update.

"We have made our moves. We have prepared our minds. This year is the year that the Knights - and Squires - of St George achieve greatness!

"We have opened our pre-season campaign with two hard-fought victories. The St Louis Spirit and McGuire's Monsters are tough opponents. who we will see a lot more of during the season. I am pleased with the efforts of our players this week.

"Furthermore, we acquired today two pieces that, for me, complete the puzzle. First, a franchise goaltender has arrived - Henrik Lundqvist. Jonathan Quick has impressed me, and is definitely one for the future, but Henrik is an elite goaltender and will prove invaluable going forwards.

"We also welcome Paul Gaustad to the Knights. Paul is in the prime of his career, plays big, and will boost our checking lines.

"We say goodbye to two stalwarts of the franchise - Kevin Bieksa and Daymond Langkow. Both have been solid presences for the Squires, but they go to an improving franchise in the Watford Capitals and will be valued by the team there. We wish them all the best in the future.

"So, we press on with pre-season. A long season lies ahead. Go Knights!"
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 am

With the third season of the 606HL about to start, GM Azzy Luongo has pulled no punches in his appraisal of his team's chances of success.

"We're the best team in the league," said Luongo. "From Henrik and Jonathan in net, to Andrei and Anton at the back, to David, Rene and Marian at forward. We have the most quality, the best depth, and the best prospects. This team is ready for success. These lads are going to bring it.

"Having said that, I wish every team a happy and prosperous season. It's going to be a long ride!"

Rumours abound that Luongo remains in the hunt for one final piece to add to his stellar line up; names circulated include Vincent Lecavalier, Henrik Sedin and Alex Ovechkin.
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 am

GM Azzy Luongo has pulled a blockbuster trade, despite his team flying high at the top of their division.

"I'm always looking to acquire quality players, and when Duncan Keith is available, you pay whatever the price is." explained Luongo. "And when you add in Paul Stastny to the mix, and Shane Doan, you've got a deal you can't say no to.

"We're obviously sad to see Andrei Markov, David Krejci and Alex Kovalev leave. But when you don't perform for my organisation, I'll trade you. Alex was having another great year, but Andrei and David were playing poorly. However, we do wish all three every success in the future."

The Knights roster is now taking shape - but are there more surprises in store? Luongo has been sounding out rival GMs to put together further trades...
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 pm

After a busy few days at the helm, Knights of St George GM Azzy Luongo is happy with the moves his franchise has made.

"I don't make trades for the sake of it," said Luongo. "the moves we made this week have made us a truly elite team.

"We signed the best Dman in the league, Shea Weber, and he has responded with 2 goals, 3 assists and 13 hits in just three games.

"We signed the second-best Dman in the league, Duncan Keith, and he has posted 1 goal and 5 assists.

"I don't see how any team in this league can beat our core, especially when you factor in Anton Babchuk, Marc Staal, Braydon Coburn and Alex Edler. I could not ask for a better D.

"We are also very happy with our new forward acquisitions; Nik Antropov has 3 points, and both David Booth and Shane Doan have 2. Ryan Malone comes back from suspension now. I'm really excited about the changes we've made - and the rest of the league had better watch out!"

So with 5 points from 6 possible in the 'new era', are the Knights now in position to assert their claims of dominance? Only time will tell...
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Having just passed the half-way mark of the season, Knights of St George GM Azzy Luongo is feeling confident about his side's future.

"At the start of the season I hired a new coach, John Anderson, and gave him just one instruction: win the 606HL within 5 years.

"In my mind's eye I could see us challenging for a playoff spot. We're doing that very well, as we're top of our division with 35 games remaining.Through a series of moves we have made our team even stronger; re-vitalised our ranks with youth, and cast aside our multi-national approach for one of a more domestic bias.

"We now have the two best D men in the league - Shea Weber and Duncan Keith - and we score goals, hit hard, and defend well. I could not be happier with our current position.

"Everything points to a successful 5 years under John's leadership - our farm team, the Squires, are on a rich vein of form. With prospects such as Kyle Okposo, Nino Niederreiter, David Perfon, Josh Bailey, Jared Cowen and Calvin de Haan, the Squires are well-poised for success. We are very happy with Mike Keenan's approach to managing the team.

"Our franchise aims this season must be for both teams to make the playoffs. We feel we can achieve those aims - it's up to the players to show their worth."

It appears that Luongo is full of beans today - will his team live up to his expectations?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:57 am

With his two teams firmly in the playoff race, Squires of St George GM Azzy Luongo is looking ahead to the impending trade deadline.

"We're very close to having a perfect side," sayd Luongo. "But we need a bit of depth. Past our top two lines our scoring is negligible. We want more of a contribution from lines 3 and 4, and are willing to pay for it."

Will any GMs be in contact with Luongo to offer suitable depth players?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:35 pm

After a frantic finish to the season, the GM of the Knights of St George is pleased to report that both the Knights of St George, and their affiliate Squires, have qualified for the playoffs.

"It's been a long season. A hard season. And our players have worked their butts off to get to this stage," said Luongo.

"The trades we made earlier in the season have paid huge dividends; Duncan Keith and Shea Weber lead all defensemen in points. Shea is our leading goal-getter with 43 - talent like that is rare.

"Then we have our three Top 6 additions. David Booth has been an excellent fit on Line 1, while Nik Antropov has been a very reliable Line 2 pivot. But we are most pleased with the performances of Shane Doan, who has been a point-per-game scorer since he joined us.

"Add to that the performances of Anton Babchuk, Alex Edler, Mike Fisher and Ryan Malone - and we've had a great year so far. But now I expect us to forget that, and concentrate on winning the 606HL."

The Knights require just one point from their final game of the season - can they clinch the Conference?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 am

After a quiet summer - reflecting on the disappointment of their Conference Final sweep at the hands of eventual winners the Swanseas Sharks, Knights of St George GM Azzy Luongo today met with local press at a secret location near Tintagel...

"We had a very good season, all things considered. When I was appointed last summer I went about setting up our coaching staff - our coach John Anderson was given the task of winning the 606HL within 5 years.

"However, over the course of the season I made several moves that improved the quality of our side. I told John at the time that I expected results - and a Conference Final exit is not a good enough return for this talented side.

"So I have today demoted John to the Squires of St George, and have given him the task of defending the Squires' Farm Team title."

With Anderson now coaching in the minors, what of the Squires' former coach, Mike Keenan?

"Mike performed fantastically last season. We strengthened the side, and he walked to the Farm Team title. As a consequence, we have invited Mike to coach the Knights of St George this season. He has of course accepted - and here he is. Mike Keenan!"

The cameras click as Keenan makes his entrance.

"Listen up. Winners like me ain't got time for chit-chat. I'm making big changes. BIG changes!

"First, the Knights are relocating. The Cave was too small, so we're moved into a new arena. The Dragons' Den. There are investment opportunities if anyone is interested.

"Second, I wish John luck this season. He has a talented side at his disposal. But it will be different to the team I coached to victory last season.

"Promoted from the Squires are David Perron, Paul Gaustad, Kyle Okposo and Joey Macdonald. They replace Manny Mahlotra, Patr Prucha, Chris Conner and Henrik Lundqvist. We are sorry that Henrik is now on the Squires, but he is the victim of cap management. We will roll with Jonathan Quick in net this season.

"Third, my aim is simple. I want to win the 606HL. I'm going to do it this year. And for that reason, I'm out!"

Keenan departs the room. How will the Knights and Squires perform in the upcoming season?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 am

With the pre-season schedule getting underway tonight, Knights of St George GM Azzy Luongo has been talking to reporters about his team's chances of success.

"Last season was a good season," said Luongo. "The Knights reached the Conference Finals, and the Squires won the farm playoffs. But I want more. I want a great season. And to achieve that, I've made more changes.

"Our newly-promoted coach, Mike Keenan, refused to shave his moustache off on 31 October, which is strictly against the team's Movember rules. As such, he was fired, and replaced by top-class coach Peter Deboer. Competition for Peter's signature was fierce, and the 8-year contract we offered him showed our commitment to success.

"We have also solidified our goaltending options. With Henrik Lundqvist sent to the Squires due to our cap situation, we were in the market for a backup goalie for Jonathan Quick. Free agent Jonas Hiller is an excellent addition to our ranks, and the competition for places should be fierce."

With yet more tweaks to the franchise, will the Knights continue to be competitive?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:57 pm

After a dreadful pre-season, the Knights of St George have made a dramatic move to shore up their leaky defence. GM Azzy Luongo has the details.

"Our weakness in pre-season has been our proclivity to collect penalties. Most guilty of this was our star defenseman Shea Weber, who was refusing to take part in the team's annual Movember challenge. I couldn't allow his reckless play any longer.

"I have reached a deal with our preferred trading partners, the Derby Ice Dogs, that sees Shea take his glut of minor penalties within the division. In return, we are delighted to welcome back veteran D Kim Johnsson, who is a quality D man, leader, and has a sensible head on his shoulders.

"We also welcome young power forward Joel Armia to the ranks; Joel has tons of promise, and will start his career with the Squires.

"In addition, we have secured both a 1st round draft pick and a 2nd round draft pick for the next draft. A new wave of talent will be arriving at the Dragons Den!"

However Luongo is rumoured to be considering more changes. Can he get the Knights back on track?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down