606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him

5 posters

Go down

Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him Empty Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him

Post by rocknrollnobody Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm

For some reason, this was deleted from the 606 board. I figured, I might as well cross over early and start my waffling on here instead...

The high-profile attempt by the Red Wings to snatch Evgeni Nabakov takes another twist, this time it’s New York Islanders GM Garth Snow who says he expects Nabakov to play in an Islanders uniform. Can’t help but think he’s a little optimistic.

For those of you who haven’t been aware of the saga surrounding this, I’ll fill you in the details.
The Red Wings have a goalie crisis. A huge crisis. A ten-story, neon lit, open all hours, valet parking affair with a massive sign that can be seen for miles around saying “THIS IS A LARGE CRISIS”. Let’s go through the goalie option shall we?

Howard – Injured knee, and now he’s back, Jimmy is really struggling.

Osgood – Injured groin. Hernia operation means he’ll be out another few weeks.

MacDonald – Waaaaay out of his depth. Conceding goals he really shouldn’t be, and looking very shaky when opposition players crashed the net.

McCollum – Was backup for MacDonald in Grand Rapids, promptly broke his hand in training with the Wings.

Pearce – Is about 9 years old, plays for Toledo, and looks absolutely and utterly terrified when he’s on the bench. He’s currently backing up Howard.

Ken Holland decided he’d seen enough. Maybe Pearce’s tiny, tear-filled eyes finally broke him, and the Red Wings went goalie hunting. Out in Russia, Evgeni Nabokov was looking for a new team, and so he got talking to the Wings. Nabby and Ken came to a deal, a $570k contract, with undoubtedly multiple playoff clauses, as well as a No Move Clause (NMC), and a clause that stopped him ever being sent down to the AHL. Holland hoped this would put off the lower teams from picking him up as Nabokov entered the 24hr waivers.

It didn’t.

The New York Islanders claimed Nabokov early on, and GM Garth Snow said he was thrilled. Nabokov certainly wasn’t. When Snow rang, and introduced himself, Nabokov simply hung up. Not a sign that you respect someone. Anyway, Nabokov’s agent tried to smooth things over and insisted Nabby hadn’t realized who was calling.

Snow is now playing hard ball. Nabokov has publicly refused to play for the Islanders, stating that he’d rather stay at home. Snow is saying he can’t wait to see Nabby in an Islanders uniform. Technically, Snow holds all the cards here, and could, if he so chose, hold out the contract that means Nabokov is an Islanders player until the end of next season. Therefore, Evgeni would be paid a wage, but he’d stay at home and eat donuts…a bit like Kyle Wellwood does.

So we’re currently at stalemate. Snow says Nabby is playing for the New York Islanders. Nabby says he’s definitely not. And after all of this, the Red Wings still are missing a decent fricking goalie!
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him Empty Re: Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him

Post by mc_homer Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm

I wondered where your post had gone! Did they even have the grace to email you and tell you it had been removed? lol
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him Empty Re: Nabakov comes knocking but New York nick him

Post by rocknrollnobody Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Yeah, but simply told me the usual category reason of 'offensive'.

Maybe the mod is an Islanders fan...
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 pm

I was going to post this on the original board however it was removed before I got round to it!

Basically my opinion is that whilst the rule is a bit rubbish, it is there and all Snow has done is played by the rules. Yes it sucks for the Red Wings but before they agreed the deal they knew the risks. As it stands the Islanders are completely correct to demand that nabby comes and plays as he as a legally binding contract with them.

Also I'm sure I read somewhere that if he refused to turn up then he would be suspended for 18 months without pay as he is in breach of his contract!
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Haha maybe. Sounds like one of my articles (one of many) that they removed. I even posted it on here asking for suggestions as to why they removed it! Turned out it was the word 'twitter' that they put on a par with stealing someones car.....
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 pm

I don't know if I like the rule or not. I can understand why it is there or we will get all these cap strapped teams sticking guys in Europe then bringing them back for the stretch drive, this rule prevents that.

Sucks for the Red Wings but that's how it goes sometimes.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 am

The Saga Continues

Isles suspends Nabokov for not turning up.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550602
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 am

Like I said on the 606 board before the article got pulled, ths is turning into a right soap opera.

Any idea yet as to why you were modded? I've had my wrists slapped for saying 'arse' and also for using the acronym WTF. Oh, and I think I once called Avery a tosser. That didn't go down well either. I've seen far worse language on some of the 606 football boards, but I think they get away with it because they can't spell, and the automod doesn't pick it up. Very Happy
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm

No idea why the article was pulled. Maybe Garth Snow is the 606 mod?

As pointed out by sportsportsport, the Isles have now suspended Nabby for refusing to report.

Now would be a good time to hum the circus theme tune...
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm

For those wondering my take...check out 606 Cool
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Did it get removed Azzy? Or am I just blind Embarassed
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Nope, my thoughts are on the 606 Nabokov thread Smile
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Yeah.....too early for me Smile for some reason I was looking for your take on the 606 mods not on the actual subject lol! Embarassed
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down