606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonis so far

2 posters

Go down

Nonis so far Empty Nonis so far

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:43 am

Let’s take a look at how new GM Dave Nonis has done so far.

Signings

David Clarkson, 7 years, $36.75m
The 29 year old was one of the big tickets on the free agent market this season and one of the last players I wanted my team to sign. He is overated. I get he bangs bodies, plays a two-way game and has a pleasing style for fans but that to me smacks of a middle 6 two-way forward. So why would you sign him to top line money on a contract that takes him to 36 years of age playing a physical style? His points production is abysmal. One 30 goals season and a high of 46 points does not justify that contract. In 298 games before that season he tallied 100 points in 298 NHL games which is the equivalent of 27.5 points in a full 82 game season. I can’t work it out.

Tyler Bozak, 5 years, $21m
Tyler is a third, perhaps second, line centre. He is useful on the dot and can contribute on the penalty kill. All in all a pretty handy player. He is not a first line centre and he is being overpaid a bit. Some rumours suggest this was to persuade Kessel to re-sign with the Buds next season. If this is true this tells me something about Phil, something I don't like.

Jonathan Bernier, 2 years, $5,8m
Traded for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a 2nd round pick
In isolation this is a good trade. None of the pieces going the other way are a worry to Toronto right now. But was it necessary? Let’s go on a brief novella of James Reimer’s NHL career. The Leafs were already looking at the golf course when Reimer took the reins and impressed towards the end of the 2010-2011 season (20-10-5, .920%). A good start to the 2011-2012 season was derailed by a concussion and as result his play suffered when he returned. The 2012-2013 was the first where he led the Leafs all season long albeit in a lock-out shortened season and a 19-8-5, .924% record was enough to end the drought. So why trade for Jonathan Bernier, sign him to a contract which pays almost twice as much (Reimer’s cap hit is $1.8m) and rock the boat which had just settled?

Dave Bolland
Traded for a 2nd and 2x 4th round picks
Eerily similar to the Bernier trade. Good in isolation but not necessary. The bottom six pivot is already a position of strength with McClement, Bozak and Colborne already in that mould. With the cap now an issue contracts like this one, Bozak and Clarkson are inhibiting – the three contracts are a combined 12.825m cap hit. There are a lot of big plusses here though, his flexibility to play in any position as a role player and his acknowledged popularity in the locker room being just two. If he can elevate his play this one could work out as every successful team needs players like Dave Bolland.

Carl Gunnarson, 3 years, $9.45m
A misunderstood player. Let’s face it Carl could be a top line blueliner but would be more at home on the second pair. But he has been asked to play against the best in the league and acquitted himself reasonably well. Really well if you consider his partner is the Neanderthal playing with a paper bag on his head that makes a pylon look like Usain Bolt. A contract well earned.

Joe Colbourne, 1 year, $600K
With the bottom six centre position being clogged and Colbounre not being ready for a top six role the one year contract indicates a role between Marlies/Leafs beckoning for one of the organisations bluechip prospects. Not a bad contract and says a lot about Joe that he accepted it.

Departed

Mikhail Grabovski, bought out via compliance
Yes he was overpaid but there was a lot of upside to Grabo. He put in more effort than almost anyone and was still easily our best centre, a position in the organisation clogged with bottom 6 forwards and lacking genuine quality. I wouldn't have minded if the money had been used wisely but to then go blow it on Clarkson whose stats pale in comparison to Grabo* and triple Bozak’s pay is baffling. If Carle really had such a problem with him, and I can’t see why he would as Mikhail was the epitome of hard worker in all three zones, then Nonis should have at least got something for him in trade (even considerations!), not wasted a buy-out. His outburst hasn’t diminished his standing in my eyes one bit.
*In four seasons in Toronto Grabovski hot 20 goals three times; the one season where he scored fewer than 20 goals he only played 59 games.

Mike Komisarek, bought out via compliance
He was overpaid in Toronto but Carolina have found a decent and cheap (!) 3rd pair blueliner who will give much needed leadership on the back end. A good signing for the Hurricanes, it was unfortunate that his position was untenable in Toronto.  
Clarke MacArthur, free agency

Clarke MacArthur, free agency
If MacArthur continues to be streaky then Ottawa will have overpaid. Whilst he won't really be missed he could have held some trade value but the modern NHL doesn’t work like that no matter what we fans like to believe.

Ryan Hamilton and Mike Kostka, free agency
Hamilton was handy for the Marlies but neither will be missed, Kostka in particular was brutal for long stretches.

Unresolved

Nazem Kadri
A breakout season suggests Kadri could be in for a breakout contract. Given his attitude I can see him demanding it. I hope he proves me wrong and looks at PK Subban (can’t believe I am advocating the guy as role model!) and takes bridge contract. He needs to be moved back to wing as he can’t take face-offs. I remain unconvinced that Kadri has what it takes to be a star, his attitude still stinks. If there was a good return, says Tyler Ennis, I would trade his rights.

Cody Franson and Mark Fraser
Projected by some pundits and fans as future top line Dmen Cody needs to be given chance to develop, under some degree of protection. As such he should be Nonis’s priority signing. Mark Fraser showed good chemistry with Cody and should be signed up also, even over Kadri if needs be.

Summary

It might seem as though I am moaning and you might be expecting a negative appraisal from me but you would be wrong. In isolation some of the moves have been questionable. However when I look at the roster right now I am feeling confident we have taken a small step forward. Freeing up some cap hit by moving Liles, trading or burying, and acquiring a top 4 Dman perhaps Lydman a UFA- and a centre -Statsny could be the odd out in Colorado- perhaps by trading some assets like Phaneuf or Kadri would be a good off-season in my eyes.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Nonis so far Empty Re: Nonis so far

Post by BuffonIdol Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:25 am

Now Paul Ranger signed for $1m. I like that. A steady stay at home player who rarely puts a foot wrong. Just what was needed.

Then Nonis goes and gets his own five year contract. The blessing of Buff strikes again!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 am

Clarkson - Big mistake
Bozak - Slightly overpaid, but needed to keep him
Bernier - Better cover when Reimer messes up / gets injured
Bolland - Good guy, but again slightly overpaid
Gunner - Good deal
Colborne - Good deal

Grabo - Sad to see him go, but was overpaid by Burke. But if we are paying Clarkson that money, it's a travesty.
Komi - Burke overpaid again and someone else has a decent second / third line pairing on a much better cap hit
MacArthur - Meh
Hamilton - Meh
Kostka - Meh

Kadri - Hated him to start, he has started to grow on me. Just don't give him a ridiculous contract. 2m for 2 years, let's see how he copes with a full season
Franson - Sign him.
Fraser - Could be odd man out, but I would take him over Liles. Problem is, Liles is on too good money to want to leave or be wanted by another team, and has a NTC.

Overall - Overpaid. Lost Grabo because of overpaying, then replaced him with half the player. Great. Still, we are a playoff team!*

* Not necessarily in 2013/14
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:34 am

Leafy that is very much an abridged version of what I said. It worries me that we are agreeing Shocked
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down