606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension

+2
Jonzee
BuffonIdol
6 posters

Go down

Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension Empty Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension

Post by BuffonIdol Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 pm

I meant to write something up about his when it happened. What are the forums thoughts?....

I was watching this game when the hit took place (the Bruins-Leafs were on a break between periods) and at the time I thought it was a great hit. The officials did not call anything at the time, only once Lydman stayed down was anything called (after a discussion between all the officials at the side of the rink). Usually when your gut instinct says the hit is good it is good. This has really divided all the hockey forums/fans I have seen with most seeing this as a black and white incident (good or dirty) and not many people sitting on the fence. What say this forum?

Oh and the NHL explanation link.... http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669342#&navid=nhl-search
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension Empty Re: Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension

Post by Jonzee Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Left his feet prior to hit. Launching. Legit ban.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension Empty Re: Justin Abdelkader hit and suspension

Post by BuffonIdol Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 pm

His feet don't leave the floor before the hit though.

Watch this one... the key frames are between the 47-48 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBIFsbcy6Q
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 am

I think Abdelkader was a little too aggressive. I also think there are too many players who skate around as if its a non contact sport, so its their own fault things like this happen.

I don't have any issue with the ban itself, although if Gryba got two games for what I don't even consider to be a hit, then Abdelkader should have got a life sentence.

Anyway, its nice to see the random number generator being used Smile
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed May 08, 2013 12:04 am

J-Iggy wrote:
Anyway, its nice to see the random number generator being used Smile

lol!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsportsport Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 am

Was it bourque who used his elbow the other day and got nothing? Its the inconsistency that is bugging me. I hate the argument of "its the playoffs let them play". If its a penalty call it a penalty. Take the penalty that Crosby drew against the Isles on Sunday. You have Milbury and Roenick (yes I know they are both idiots) saying that that sort of penalty shouldn't be called in OT in the playoffs. The guy had both his hands on Sid and pulled him down as he drove to the net. Its a holding call.

Then again this was the same JR who earlier had said that players should expect hits like Abdelkaders in the playoffs and they should just get on with it.
In my humble opinion if its a penalty/suspension in the preseason, regular season or the playoffs call it and put an end to all this is it isn't it talk
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 am

Jonzee wrote:Left his feet prior to hit. Launching. Legit ban.

This
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm

sportsportsport wrote:Was it bourque who used his elbow the other day and got nothing? Its the inconsistency that is bugging me. I hate the argument of "its the playoffs let them play". If its a penalty call it a penalty. Take the penalty that Crosby drew against the Isles on Sunday. You have Milbury and Roenick (yes I know they are both idiots) saying that that sort of penalty shouldn't be called in OT in the playoffs. The guy had both his hands on Sid and pulled him down as he drove to the net. Its a holding call.

Then again this was the same JR who earlier had said that players should expect hits like Abdelkaders in the playoffs and they should just get on with it.
In my humble opinion if its a penalty/suspension in the preseason, regular season or the playoffs call it and put an end to all this is it isn't it talk

Totally agree. If anything, they need to be more prepared to call these penalties in the playoffs. Players are more fired up then usual, the likelihood of these hard and sometimes dangerous hits is a lot higher.
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Meh, the hit was borderline, and that's always dangerous.

If you want to make sure you don't get banned, then make sure you don't give anyone a reason to ban you. Abby's hit was right on the edge. Did his feet leave the ice before or after the contact. Tough one to call.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down