606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still some work to do

+2
DRIZ
BuffonIdol
6 posters

Go down

Still some work to do Empty Still some work to do

Post by BuffonIdol Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm

As we are now deep in the mire of the off-season with little to look forward to I thought I would write what I feel Toronto still needs to do this off-season in order to be competitive for the upcoming season. Since we have not actually done anything yet there is quite a bit activity! Comment and do the same for your own team.

Goaltending

The Buds have a very uncertain situation between the pipes. James Reimer is expected to rebound from a poor season after been concussed by the limbs of Habs captain Brian Gionta. But he remains without expansive NHL experience with just 71 games to his name. The Leafs must still lock up one their top two goaltending prospects , Ben Scrivens, but he must be allowed to develop with Jussi Rynnas away from the NHL. This leaves a spot on the main roster. What sort of player do the Leafs need to fill that spot. Reimer is clearly trusted with the #1 spot but with his lack of experience it would make sense for the Blue and White to sign a veteran. The question is this vet a back-up or someone to split time? Options are limited out there with Dan Ellis perhaps the best remaining UFA on the market but he would only fulfil the former role. If the Leafs decide they need someone to spit time and if necessary step in and assume the number one role of full-time basis then a trade for someone like Jaroslav Halak might be on the cards. St Louis might be convinced to let the player leave if they believe that Brian Elliott was no fluke last season. The cost would likely be one of the goaltending prospects and a roster player.

Actions
Resign RFA Ben Scrivens
Trade for Jaroslav Halak

Defence

The first thing Brian Burke should be looking to do is sign Cody Franson. It seems everyone but the Leafs management can see this kids talent. He has the ability to be a top 4 d-man and his performances last season when he wasn’t sitting idly in the press box where fine. Give him what he wants in terms of money I doubt it is more than $2.something for a couple of years and promise him the roster spot he deserves. Next up I think the Leafs should pursue UFA Jaroslav Spacek. He would be the ideal partner to capt. Dion. No longer a offensive threat Spacek controls play in his own zone like a pro and would hopefully teach Phaneuf a thing or two about defensive positioning whilst allowing the man to still go gather some points. Making Spacek the senior of the top pairing will also stop Phaneuf teaching the young guys bad habits. Korbin Holzer, signed to a one-way contract, takes the 7th man role and likely finds 30 games through injuries and poor form whilst these moves leave no room Mike Komisarek who will have to brought out or buried in the minors if a new home cannot be found for him.

Actions
Resign RFA Franson
Sign UFA Jarsolav Spacek
Move Mike Komisarek

Offence

The Leafs have a good mix of forwards who are top 9 but need to add two more bona-fide top 6 to be a real offensive threat. It is worth pursuing Alexander Semin as the Leafs can offer what he wants- top 6 minutes with powerplay opportunities and some Eastern European line mates with a home on a second line with Nikolai Kulemin and Mikhail Grabovski. At $4.something with a short one or two year contract it is a move worth looking at. If it doesn’t work out I would like to see us aggressively move for Tyler Ennis who is a RFA. The Sabres will likely match anything we offer so the correct play is to approach Buffalo directly themselves. If we offered a defensive and offensive prospect to them not to match and then gave Ennis $3m they would get a second round pick on top. If they would prefer a roster player and the pick instead then depending who I say give it to them. Ennis is top 6 material and ultimately I believe a 70+pt man, he worth pursing now. Besides Semin and Ennis the Leafs must address their biggest forward concern, the #1 Centre spot. I do not want to see JVR there, I want him on the wing. Instead I would like to see us chase Paul Stastny. Colorado have Matt Duchenne and Ryan O’Reilly (once he resigns) down the middle already so they may be open to the possibility of a trade. What would it take to make it happen. Call me crazy but I would offer Lupl straight up. I think last season was his career-year and so sell when his value is high. On balance that is a fair deal and one that could entice the Avalanche into a move. Resign Jay Rosehill to play chicken on the third line and do to Matthew Lombardi and Tim Connolly the same end as Mike Komisarek; minors, buy-outs or trades for tat.

Actions
Resign UFA Rosehill
Sign UFA Semin
Sign/trade RFA Ennis
Trade for Stastny
Move Tim Connolly
Move Matthew Lombardi

:Projected line-up:

JVR – Stastny – Kessel
Kulemin – Grabovski – Semin/Ennis
McCarthur – Bozak – McClement
Brown – Steckel - Rosehill

Spacek – Phaneuf
Franson – Gardiner
Liles – Gunnarson
Holzer

Halak
Reimer

*Disclaimer: Yes, smartarse, I am aware that most of this is unlikely to happen, but then this is what being an armchair GM is all about.
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Still some work to do Empty Re: Still some work to do

Post by DRIZ Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Trade for Halak....hahahahahahaha lol!

You've been on the funny fag's again, Haven't you Very Happy
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by DRIZ Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:28 pm

*Disclaimer : The above is the armchair JD response to Toronto's armchair offer Razz
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Armchair Armchair Armchair...

My office chair has arms. They move up and down and have little "triggers" on them. I like to pretend im in a space chair shooting aliens Cool

Buff's GM armchair must also be in space with those trades!

Last edited by J-Iggy on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 pm

I'll trade you 50p for Luke Schenn.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 pm

I will trade you a Jaromir Jagr jersey for Phil Kessel Smile
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 am

Though I said the trades wouldn't happen the trades themselves if they did happen certainly aren't in otter space for realism.

Lupul for Stastny
MacArthur (for example) and Rynnas for Halak

You really think that either of those two trades is unbalanced? They are both Earth-bound to Battlefield HQ, beam me up Tango 1!
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 am

Otter space?

Still some work to do Ac55gloutinotterspace24x30
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 am

lol! He is an american otter, do you think Burke will be interested?
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 am

If he is half the player the Otter we just traded away was then he might be Smile
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 am

Does the otter have an alien on his space junk?
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:01 am

Shocked
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rugby-leafhockeyrocker Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 am

Jonzee wrote:I'll trade you 50p for Luke Schenn.

....... I am pretty sure that is a transfer

on buffs original post - YES!!!! be rid of komisarek
rugby-leafhockeyrocker
rugby-leafhockeyrocker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down