606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A break after Game 2

+4
Lord SKAgiraffe
Calamity Jane
Jonzee
DRIZ
8 posters

Go down

A break after Game 2 Empty A break after Game 2

Post by DRIZ Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

As the weekends hockey decended into, at times farce - I've had a thought.

After the 2nd game of a series, especially the 1st round, the teams should have a 4day break. This would allow the players a little down time, a chance to spend a day with their partners, a chance to release some pent up frustration - it you get my drift.

A least half the teams have known for the best part of fortnight that they are play-off bound, and you can't tell me that it doesn't mess with the players heads.

I watched/listened to 2 games over the weekend and whilst both were compelling, it was clear players were boiling over. Nearly 300 penalty minutes were accrued by the Blues v Sharks and the Flyers v Pens. Hell, even Sindy got his hair straighteners in a twist and threw his clutch bag about.

Add these stats, along with the Weber fine and the three other suspensions, together... and it doesn't make pretty reading.

I say, give them a couple of days off - let them get their rocks off....and let us get to watch some decent hockey!!!
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

A break after Game 2 Empty Re: A break after Game 2

Post by Jonzee Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I don't think drawing it out would make any difference. We hate the Pens, even more so now. Shit will still be kicking off the first game against them next season.

One of the NBC dumps also said games 1 and 3, when the teams hit new buildings, are particularly boisterous.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:24 pm

The best bit about the NBC games is watching Pierre McGuire trying to avoid scrapping players and flying pucks.
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord SKAgiraffe Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm with Jonzee on this one, if you had a 4 day break, emotions will still be simmering and will go off anyway. The Flyers / Pens will always have tempers fraying, as will most of theses games as it develops from local rivalry. For e.g, NYR drawing the Sens meant they avoided a rivalry, but had they drawn Philly, Washington, NJD or Boston, they would also be in punch-up city. Ah, playoff hockey - because its the cup. And because Toronto isn't there. Lets face it, no-one would have a big snot fight with the Leafs, it would be like stamping on a sick puppy...
Lord SKAgiraffe
Lord SKAgiraffe

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

From what I've seen of the play-offs so far there's been some cracking match-ups. The Flyers and Penguins have provided old skool hockey; there's nothing to seperate the Caps and Bruins, Sharks and Blues; the Hawks have twice tied the game in the final seconds; and there's been hardly any blow-outs. More of the same please!
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Iggy Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 am

yesterdays Pens - Flyers games aside its been brilliant so far. Im particualy enjoying the Caps - Bruins series. Thomas ups his game in the playoffs and Holtby looks like he wants to make a name for himself, similar to Halak a couple of years ago.

Who would have thought both the Pens and Nucks would be going out in the 1st round...
J-Iggy
J-Iggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mc_homer Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 am

I really enjoyed last nights Flyers-Penguins game. It had everything and as ronnie said, it was old skool hockey. That is the game that got me into hockey way back when!

The way Shanahan has dealt with certain incidents is another matter entirely but as for the on ice product....it has been top notch so far.

I agree with Jonzee also that a longer break will make little difference when the rivalry is that deep rooted. This is what makes playoff hockey great when the two teams hate each other to the core. This is a battle not a tea party.
mc_homer
mc_homer
Admin

https://606hl.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 am

Everyone said the DET v NSH series would be tight, and they weren't wrong.

3-2, 2-3, 3-2 and it's tighter than a crab's arse going into the 4th game.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 am

rocknrollnobody wrote:Everyone said the DET v NSH series would be tight, and they weren't wrong.

Loved the Datsyuk goal last night. Rinne looked like he was daydreaming...
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by DRIZ Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:19 am

Perhaps I wasn't helped by Premier Sports. They showed last nights game on freeto view. They also showed, what I can only assumes was HBO 24/7 with the Rangers v Flyers in the intervals. That in itself was hardly a gentlemanly game of hockey Very Happy
DRIZ
DRIZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 am

rocknrollnobody wrote:Everyone said the DET v NSH series would be tight, and they weren't wrong.

You can't get much tighter than the Bruins/Caps series: 1-0 OT, 1-2 2OT. God knows what tonight's game will be like.

But I'm loving the old skool matchup between the Pens and Flyers. (I'm just an old-fashioned girl at heart)
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down