606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room

Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room

Post by carnell Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:32 pm

At a press conference held today at the new home of the Ice Dogs GM, Carnell, announced netminder, Chris Osgood and defender J.M Liles wouldn't be returning to the club next season along with Hornets winger Jeff Cowan, this follows the news Hornets Head Coach Dave Tippett would not be offered a new contract.

“We have held long talks with all the players from last season, and the outcome was Chris and John would be better off moving on.”  Carnell continued “We need a fresh start and with Chris getting older, and only having limited ice time last season, we are hoping to build from the back and Chris doesn’t fit the bill any more. As with John, he was unlucky last season, we need to be stronger at the back, we would like to wish him well, the door isn’t fully closed on his return later down the line, but for the time we are going our separate ways.”

In closing, Carnell stated they were close to finalising terms with a couple of last seasons players and were hoping to announce the first few signings early next week.

Last edited by carnell on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Ice Dogs Make First Signing

Post by carnell Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Derby Ice Dogs GM Carnell today confirmed the first signings for the forthcoming season with the announcement that last seasons captain Jamie Langenbrunner would be returning to the Ice Dogs for a fourth season.

“Jamie has seen the club go through all the changes and is one of only a few surviving players from the inaugural season” Carnell looked pleased with the signing adding “The club needs someone like Jamie in the locker room, there is a reason he was our captain, he’s great on and off the ice!”

Langenbrunner was present and spoke to the gathered press and was pleased to announce “I’m back” he added “I contemplated retirement briefly, but after speaking with Carnell, he soon changed my mind and I was signing up to another year with the club. The new arena looks great and I like the feel of the city, the new season can’t come soon enough”

As the press conference came to an end, Carnell closed the questions by stating that more signing news was on the horizon and he hoped to be able to finalise terms with another returning player from last season and details would be announced as soon as the contract was returned.

Last edited by carnell on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Turco Returns

Post by carnell Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:39 pm

A second press conference in two days for the Ice Dogs, this time with GM Carnell announcing starting netminder, Marty Turco has signed for a further season with the club.

“Marty was aquired on (trade) deadline day and he stated to show signs of what he was capable of towards the end of last season” Carnell stated “During the individual meetings with the players, we sat down with Marty and I told him what I wanted from him next season and he told me he could do it, it was then just a matter of getting a deal put together that both parties could work with.”

Turco wasn’t at the press conference, but was on video phone and confirmed his delight “It was an easy decision, we had verbally agreed terms before I headed home for the summer, it was just a matter of getting the contract and returning it signed. I didn’t have a long time with the club last season, but I liked the managements ambitions and wanted to be part of that going forward.”

Turco, who turns 36 this season was pleased to have another season in the 606HL and is hoping to take the club into its first post season playoffs. Carnell echoed this and said more signings were in the pipelines and he was hoping to have another player announced next week.
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Giguere wants out

Post by carnell Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 am

Just days after the Ice Dogs announced number one Marty Turco would be returning to the club, former starting netminder J.S Giguere has requested to be traded after a meeting with club officials.

A source close to the club said “Giguere wasn’t happy with the announcement he wouldn’t be the Ice Dogs number one, he demanded a meeting with the management to rectify the situation and at the end asked to be traded”

GM Carnell simply stated “We are not going to stand in his way if he wishes to move clubs, he had a tough time last season and as such we brought in a replacement, which we hoped would increase the competition and have the guys fighting it out in training for that number one spot, as it happens, we have seen someone wish to jump ship and leave as oppose to fight”

Giguere released a statement through his agent stating “When I signed last season, it was of the understanding I would be first choice, things have changed and I don’t like that, as such I have asked to be traded and have instructed my agent to find me another club.”
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty More Player Departures....

Post by carnell Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:38 am

Ice Dogs GM Carnell today confirmed defenceman Bryan Allen along with center Andre Deveaux would not be retuning to Derby next season.

“With their contracts expiring, we are looking at moving in a different direction, we need guys that will improve the areas where we lacked last season and these guys just didn’t cut it”

With the re-signing deadline just days away. Carnell is busy finalising which players he wants back and who he is letting go to free agency.

“Its never easy telling a guy they don’t have a job here next season, but its what I have to do, we need fresh faces and that’s what we will get”

In closing, Carnell confirmed offers were out to several players both with the Ice Dogs and with Farm team players but wouldn’t confirm or deny an names, simply adding “We have contacts back signed and are waiting for league approval on the deals”
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Carle Returns to patrol Blue Line, Bouchard Returns

Post by carnell Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 am

The Derby Ice Dogs are pleased to confirm 26 year old Matthew Carle has put pen to paper after he amassed over 50 points for the club last season, the highest point scoring defenceman on the team along with right winger PM Bouchard who will both be wearing the jersey for the upcoming season after agreeing terms with the club.

Discussing the Carle deal, GM Carnell said “When Shea Weber got tradedd, we needed someone to step up and command the defence, Matty did this off his own back, he and Jonno (Kim Johnsson) took the others under their wings and lead by example, we will be looking for more of the same this term”

Carnell confirmed the Bouchard deal wasn't as straight forward “At first, we agreed to move our separate ways, but then we had another meeing and things moved differently, he is reaching his prime, he has great skating abilities and when you add that to his accurate passing, he’s just what we need, providing we get someone to get on the other end an find the net”
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Volchenkov swaps Ducks for Dogs, Hornets get 4

Post by carnell Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:39 am

Anton Volchenkov has finally been traded to the Ice Dogs following long negotiations between both franchise GM’s. Leaving the Ice Dogs in the other direction is centre man Michael Zigomanis who had an up and down season with the Dogs.

GM Carnell confirmed the trade “We are pleased to bring in Anton, and hope that he will add depth to the defensive unit, with this acquisition, we see this as an upgrade in all the key areas on Bryan Allen, who has been formally released by the club. Volchenkov is a better all round defenseman and will help shut down some of the opposition play, something we struggled with last season.”

Wingers Jamal Mayers, Steven Goertzen and Mark Parrish join netminder Matt Keetley in signing on the dotted line for the Heanor Hornets for the upcoming season. GM for the franchise, Carnell announced the latest signings this morning on local radio “Four Guys who showed promise last season, have all been rewarded by having their contracts renewed.”

It was believed that Keetley would be on his way out of the club due to the Ice Dogs and Hornets having a full compliment of guys between the pipes but following the announcement that former starting netminder Giguere wants out, Carnell acted quick and was fully behind the signing. “Someone with Matt’s pedigree can’t be left to go onto the free agency market. Although this signing means we have a surplus of goalies for the time, I believe Matty has a strong future ahead of him, and that’s what we like”

With Turco claiming the number one slot on the Ice Dogs roster, the back up role and starting role for the Hornets is going to be a move watched closely, with veteran Giguere still on the books for the time being along with upcoming stars Halek and Keetley all fighting for the key slots.
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty First Round Pick up for grabs

Post by carnell Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 pm

GM Carnell today confirmed he is on the look out for a top defenceman and is willing to include the Monsters first round pick in acquiring one.

"We need stability on the blue line and we are willing to move big guys to get it"

With the deadline for re-signings coming up, will the Ice Dogs get their man?

Last edited by carnell on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Three In, One Out

Post by carnell Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 pm

GM Carnell today completed the trade he was after by bringing in solid blue liner Pavel Kubina in a deal with the Shamrocks. In addition to Kubina, Carnell also aquired the services of Charlie Coyle and Devante Smith-Pelly who will be making appearances for the Hornets this season.

"We got a guy who is going to improve our blue line and give the guy between the pipes some added protection."

Heading to the Shamrocks will be Jay Bouwmeester, someone that Carnell has been wanting to move for a while now "Jay was a good guy, and I'm sure when his contact was signed was promising, but he didn't perform as well as I would have hoped and by freeing up some cap space, it gives us a few more options when shuffling out forward lines when free agency begins.

Both teams also swapped draft picks with Boston picking up a first round pick and Derby getting next years third round pick.
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Draft Day News

Post by carnell Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 pm

The Ice Dogs pulled off another deal just before the draft commenced last night which saw Paul Stastny and Andrew Ladd leave the franchise in return for Veteran Marc Savard along with Pavelski and two second round picks at last nights draft.

"I wanted to add to the team, and I feel we made a good trade getting something that we were after. Not only have we added to the team now, but by gaining an extra couple of picks, we are setting ourselves up for he future"

Savard finished the regular season with 75 points from 81 games, whilst Pavelski amassed 56 points. Carnell concluded by stating "We are not done with trades yet, we are still on the look out for players, but with the free agency pool opening we will explore all avenues."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Draft Picks

1st Round (17th) Thomas Jurco
18 year old Slovakian winger comes highly rated with supreme puck handling skills along with an eye for the goal. He skates well and will be assigned to the Ice Dogs for pre season before a final decision is made on where he will play during the regular season.

2nd Round (33rd) Sven Baertschi
Another European player joining the Franchise will be 18 year old Switz who like Thomas has good skating and puck handling abilities. He is a finesse player who will be expected to contribute with both goals and assists for the Hornets

2nd Round (38th) Joel Armia
Solid Fin Armia is going to be a two way forward in the Hornets franchise, whilst he has the ability to log big minutes, he will be expected to help out the defense and contribute to the play whenever possible

3rd Round (41st) Angus Steakhouse
Steakhouse comes in a little unknown originating from Scotland, England, however is expected that he will bring his size and hard nosed style of play to the table whenever his is picked to play. Its not all about hard hitting with this guy, he is another two way forward expected to show his defensive capabilities when called upon

4th Round (61st) Alain Spice
The Final European to be drafted by the Ice Dogs, a strong passed and defender, this winger is expected to be fighting Angus for a spot on the roster this term.

4th Round (76th) Nicholas Shore
The first of the North Americans to be drafted and is at best average, he's unlikely to be offered a contract this term, but instead sent back to the minors so the young 18 year old can develop his game and come back stronger in a year or so

5th Round (81st) Ralph Wiggum
Ralph "The Chief" Wiggum is a tough skater that will take no prisoners, still only 17 years of age, he is expected to return to his hometown for another season to develop his play more

5th Round (89th) Daniel Catenacci
Final pick for the Dogs is Canadian centre Daniel, he's a strong passer and will punish you with his hits and isn't afraid to take on anyone , although lacking in size, he makes up for it with heart
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Free Agency Opens

Post by carnell Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

GM Carnell has been busy in the opening hours since Free Agency officially opened with offers out to a number of players along with a Head Coach.

"I'm keen to resolve the Head Coach situation as soon as possible, there are a number of good coaches out there and we have an offer with one now" When pushed for names, Carnell refused to give details until the deal was sealed.

"We are in need for 2nd and 3rd line Left wingers, I have approached a couple of GM's with enquiries and a couple with offers, one deal is further down the line that the others, but we will wait and see what happens."

When asked if he would be raiding the free agency pool Carnell said "As it stands, we have contacted a couple of agents about the avalibility of their clients and we have offers out, the pool isn't that great in terms of what we need, so I expect to be more active in terms of trades, however, we are as ever exploring all avenues."

Any updates as the day progresses will be announced here.
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Free Agency Day 2

Post by carnell Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 pm

The Derby Ice Dogs have a new Head Coach today after GM Carnell sealed the deal with Gary Roberts, the 45 year old Canadian has signed an initial 2 year deal with the club worth a total of $4,000,000

"When I was drawing up the short list of possible candidates for the Hornets, Gary's name was hitting me right in the face. After checking his credentials it was clear he was the right man for the franchise, but would be better suited with the Ice Dogs, I spoke to Terry Murray who happily stepped aside to take the reins of the Hornets once again"

Roberts appeared before the gathered media announced "We will compete every night, last season, too many guys took nights off and I wont stand for it, we have a good foundation to which we can build off, we have young guys breaking through and we have the veterans who will help season the younger blood. I have spoken with the GM and we know what we expect and I know I can achieve this"

Carnell closed the press conference by stating a Left Winger was heading to the arena to complete all the paperwork and he would be announced as soon as possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second Press Conference of the Day, this time GM Carnell introduced veteran winger Paul Kariya to the media as the latest member of the Ice Dogs team.

"Paul has signed a one year deal with the club and will be used not only for his superb skating ability, but he will be used to create plays off the wing for his line mates and give them the opportunity to score. He may have lost some of his speed over the last few seasons, but his vision is great"

When asked why he had signed for the Ice Dogs, Kariya replied " They have a good set up here, with some stars of the future coming through, I don't have the same wheels anymore, but I will still be able to assist the team and help develop guys like Willie that will help the team for years to come."

GM Carnell closed by stating he didn't expect anymore news today, other than stating contacts had been offered to two guys, but their decision wasn't due until tomorrow.
carnell
carnell

Back to top Go down

Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room Empty Re: Ice Dogs Pre Season Press Room

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down