606 Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four Games for Rome

+4
ronnie pander
Azzy Luongo
Paddywan
sportsportsport
8 posters

Go down

Four Games for Rome Empty Four Games for Rome

Post by sportsportsport Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 am

Aaron Rome was given only the fourth suspension in Stanley Cup final history, and the first multi game suspension, for his late hit on Nathan Horton last night.

if you haven't seen the hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjO3Qe51izI

Definitely a late hit and deserving of a major and a misconduct. Not so sure about the 4 game suspension. I like it for the perspective that Horton is done for the playoffs but i think it is a slight over reaction to a bad hockey play.
sportsportsport
sportsportsport

Back to top Go down

Four Games for Rome Empty Re: Four Games for Rome

Post by Paddywan Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:43 am

Well the play itself clearly didn't calm the Canucks down, slash on Krecji for their goal and Torres trying to kill Boychuck near the end of the game. Sure we gave some back but if the Canucks can't police themselves then the league has to step in. If only they had done it with the whole Burrows incident then perhaps last night's game wouldn't have been as crazy as it was.

Paddywan
Paddywan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 am

A really bad hit - and I'm fine with four games, because not only does it set a HUGE precedent for Shanahan's reign, but it takes a crap hockey player with limited ability out of our line up. I hope he never plays for us again.

Let's hope that Horton recovers over the summer, and that in future hits like Chara on Pacioretty, Richards on Booth and McGinn on Rome himself get the proper suspensions they truly warrant.
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:51 am

I have to say though Paddy, the Bruins themselves are an utter disgrace:

Krejci on Hamhuis in Game 1
Peverley slash on Bieksa in Game 2
Lucic cheap shot punch and Ference's elbow to Sedin's head in Game 3 (to name just two of the many cheap, nasty and just downright grotty plays from you lot last night)

Julien is a disgrace too, I'd hate to play for such a hypocritical, arrrogant and meatheaded coach.

I had a lot of respect for the Bruins prior to Game 1. Three games of hockey against them and I've not only lost respect for them, but for the game as well. If this is hockey, I want no part of it.
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie pander Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 am

I thought it was late but Horton should have had his head up. 4 games seems harsh. The home bias on the commentary was rather grating - both teams played hard and got dirty at times. As bad as each other.

Anyway, hell of a win for Boston! Imo, they have to win the next one too though otherwise it's curtains...
ronnie pander
ronnie pander

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddywan Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 am

If that was a cross-check from Krecji then Kesler and Thornton should never have played hockey again after their much more vigorous and almost constant cross-checking in the last series. It was a 2 minute penalty at best but I didn't like it I hate the "oh you hit our player, we will come after you now crap".

Then if we take Krecji's cross-check as bad Peverly's slash was preceded by a similar if not worse crosscheck which cause the retaliation but yeh that was a dirty play should have been a penalty and if other things were picked up upon should be a suspension too. So we'll have Burrows out for a game or two Peverly out for a game or two and after last night Hansen out for the same time.

Alas that wont happen because the league would rather not police this stuff and force the players to deal with it on the ice. Which brings me to Lucic's punch, if you let burrows get away with disrespecting someone like Patrice Bergeon over nothing, on top of the fact that the incident was preceded by a slash on Thomas what are the players supposed to do to protect their guys?

Burrows sure as hell isn't going to fight any of our guys to even the score hell Lucic Burrows is a mis-match but I'm sure even Krecji would go with him to settle the score.

How is Julien hypocritical? or arrogant or meatheaded. I've seen none of that, he can't control the players on the ice they went against what he said and he gave them hell for it. Where is Vigneault complaining about the bite or Max Lapierre's play in general? or the Sedin's diving at least once in each game this series.

Julien said before the game he didn't want to see any of that crap and he said after he didn't gave them hell for it? By all means give me an example but Julien has given the best showing of any coach in a long time, particularly when he's now lost 3 of his best players in the space of 2 years to concussions and only 1 of them was from a "tad" late legal hit. Jesus the Canucks as an organisation are defending the hit and saying Horton was watching his pass that's worse than anything Julien has done.

Ference's elbow didn't touch his head it was shoulder to shoulder and yet again a Sedin went diving holding his head. I've watched it back on Gamecenter nothing touches Daniel's face (I can't find the replay anywhere else) He was on the ice holding his head then 3 seconds later he's headlocking ference from behind with his stick in his face while ference is being held by the linesman.

The game's have been pretty ridiculous and it needs to stop but because people and apparently players don't realise that the way to prevent penalties and all this crap is discipline (see Game 7 Boston v Tampa) it's going to be like this.

But I digress people on different sides will always see things differently but the reality is we are missing our second highest point scorer because Rome decided to take a guy out way too late and yet we still get called thugs.

The league missed an opportunity to stop this at the beginning and then Lapierre decides to escalate and we come out the worst when the retaliation comes down yet we are still villified?
Paddywan
Paddywan

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am

Azzy Luongo wrote:I have to say though Paddy, the Bruins themselves are an utter disgrace:

Krejci on Hamhuis in Game 1
Peverley slash on Bieksa in Game 2
Lucic cheap shot punch and Ference's elbow to Sedin's head in Game 3 (to name just two of the many cheap, nasty and just downright grotty plays from you lot last night)

Julien is a disgrace too, I'd hate to play for such a hypocritical, arrrogant and meatheaded coach.

I had a lot of respect for the Bruins prior to Game 1. Three games of hockey against them and I've not only lost respect for them, but for the game as well. If this is hockey, I want no part of it.

Hmm, funnily enough, I've been swapping emails with a friend in Buffalo today (Sabres fan obviously) and he said that going into this series he had a lot of respect for Vancouver, but has lost it totally during this series.

There have been cheap shots on both sides, dives and embellishments on both sides, and sadly it's culminated in Horton being out for the rest of the Finals. The daft thing is, I was totally against punishing Burrows for the bite. As far as I'm concerned, if you're idiotic enough to stick your fingers in someone's mouth, then you get what you deserve. But maybe if he'd been suspended, then it wouldn't have escalated in the way it did.

And I bloody enjoyed Timmy's hit on Henrik Sedin. Thirty-eight saves, one hit. cheers
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah, I don't mind Thomas doing that, what a great goalie cheers
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Howard is a little hotheaded and has no problem with jamming his stick up whichever forward happens to be stood infront. He's also partial to a blocker in the face after the play here and there.

DiPietro talks a good game but seems to get injured just skating out of his crease, and has a jaw made of wet paper.

Brent Johnson is a bit of a suspect goalie, but a great fighter.

Carey Price is lokoing like a decent goalie, but doesn't seem to be made of tough stuff.

Whilst Tim Thomas seems to take the biscuit. Superb goalie, Vezina candidate, obvious Bruins MVP, and now a Clutterbuck-type hit because it was easier than grabbing the puck from the chest of Sedin.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Does anyone else get the feeling Thomas hit Sedin because it was more fun than simply clutching the puck? Nothing to do with the hockey play, he just figured that when Chara did it, it looked like fun, so Thomas wanted to join in...
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Naw, I just reckon he saw Leighton do it last year, so wanted to try it out.

Four Games for Rome W213302566
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollnobody Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Jim looks like Optimus Prime right there.
rocknrollnobody
rocknrollnobody

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 pm

That is such great photo! I'm having difficulty working out which poor little Bruin it is because his face is so squished up Very Happy
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffonIdol Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 pm

I think that might be an advert for freshly squeezed juice on the board right below there
BuffonIdol
BuffonIdol

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Luongo Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 am

Looks like Miro Satan to me?
Azzy Luongo
Azzy Luongo

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 am

Azzy, I do believe you are right.

Having expunged last year's playoffs from my memory, I'd assumed the picture was from this year's series. But it is indeed Mr Satan (still the coolest name in hockey) Smile

Last edited by Calamity Jane on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake; but I think I got away with it)
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonzee Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:16 am

I want to know what your profile pic says.
Jonzee
Jonzee

Back to top Go down

Post by Calamity Jane Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 am

It's a cartoon of "the New England Sports Family". The three big muscly guys are Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox players; and the little weedy guy is a Bruins player. The thought bubble above his head says "I'm beginning to think I'm adopted". Sad
Calamity Jane
Calamity Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down